Lighting qurstion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Godfrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm buying new bulbs for one of my tanks and I'm wondering which bulbs to buy. I've got a three 96 wattbulb power compact fixture over a 55 gal tank and my tank is full of soft corals and some Lps. What's better 420 nm or 460nm or should I have both. My choices are
10000k/420nm
420nm
420nm/460nm
460nm
10000k/ 460nm
I like the bluer look to my tank

I would have 2 420nm at back and middle and 1 460 at the front. I would have 1 timer for each if they have individual cords. One 420nm will be the 1st to be ON and last to OFF. I would stagger the other 2 so that the peak simulates the noon lighting intensity. A darker blue at the back will produce a nice hue when lighter blue is at the front.

I have made the unit so I have two different timers so I can pretty much work it like you said. Just trying to picture it and I thought you needed the whiter light to get good coral growth

They say the white light is more on aesthetic while the blue has more effect on coral growth. I do have 1000k too which I like together with another 2 blues making 3 combinations.

Thanks for the input a good thing about these PCs are you can mix and match seeing there are two tubes on each bulb. So on the front I'm thinking a 10000k and a 460 nm and on the middle a 10000k and a 420nm and on the back both 420 nm then have the mid turn on first then 2 hours later the others turn on. And vise versa at dusk. I think that will give me both the look I'm going for and most important the growing power for the corals

Back
Top Bottom