Lighting recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaronb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 210 gallon fish only aquarium. Mainly CA/SA cichlids. I was curious what would be the best bulbs to really bring out the colors of the fish and make the overall tank look great. I currently have a 4 ft T12 2 bulb fixture. I can probably switch to a different fixture if needed. I'd prefer to keep the one I have if possible. Thanks.

The T12 bulbs may limit your selection a bit, but a simple daylight spectrum bulb from the hardware store coupled with ColorMax type of bulb (roseate I think) should do well on your tank.

Thanks. Do they make either one in a t12?

Thanks. Would it be too much to use 2 T12 daylight bulbs plus a t5 or t8 dual fixture with a colormax and power-glo 18000k bulb?

Thanks again. That's what I was thinking when I bought the fixture, but it actually looks surprisingly well lit. I have it in a canopy I built 1 foot above the water level so the light spreads enough to make it to the ends. The fish do look nicer closer to the surface though. Would the power-glo be a good choice or just 2 colormax?

I do kind of like the purple tint to the water.

What size and how many bulbs is a good recommendation for a 210 gallon fish only aquarium?

I like actinic bulbs. I had a 10,000k and actinic on my 150g mbuna tank. It really made the colors show on the fish, gave the water a nice blue look, and didn't cause any algae issues... I wouldn't go with more than 2 bulbs. Here's what my 150 looked like with a daylight and actinic.

img_1289133_0_ccac68c82a9656b1e0c30c293c6a6c22.jpg

That looks pretty good. Also would it cause problems to use black lights as moon lights?

Back
Top Bottom