Lighting recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK. I just sold my empty 155g reef tank and the 834w lighting (3x150mh and 4x96 actinics).

Going to set up a 90g tank sometime before year's end. Will not do the extensive reef (never did get into SPS though) this time around. Maybe closer to FOWLR, with some lower light shrooms and stuff. Might try a dwarf angel. Dunno.

Anyway. Very limited corals and fish.

Light recommendation? Tired of the hot lights and extensive top-offs. The tank is gonna be in a room this time with an in-wall mount setup, so I can easily hang stuff this time and not worry about aesthetics. Just need functionality.

FOWLR tank will work with normal output fluorescent bulbs. Just buy a dual bulb shop light, paint it black and your good to go. ;)

Got any links for example?

Larry, you also saying i can do some low light coral too? I'm wanting some color in the tank, but the kind that won't upset me too much if munched on.

Yea, I would go with some T8's as well. I know Melosu uses only T8's you should as him what brand.

Something like this would work Ray.
T12 (40w bulbs) fixture
Lithonia Lighting 4 Ft. Strip 2-Bulb 40 Watt T12 Fluorescent Fixture - C 2 40 120 MBE 2INKO at The Home Depot
T8 (32w bulbs) fixture
Lithonia Lighting All Weather 4 Ft. 2 Light T8 Fluorescent Unit Shoplight - 1242ZG RE at The Home Depot

I use a 75w spiral CFL bulb down in my sump and I have zoas, mushrooms and anthellia growing under it. They don't need much light at all.

Yea, I would go with some T8's as well. I know Melosu uses only T8's you should as him what brand.
Mike uses 4 T12 VHO's.

So, two of these $19 fixtures, with 4 40w bulbs. That simple???

And of course, I'd like some blue/actinics and night lights. Possible too

Back
Top Bottom