Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lighting requirements 210g vs 180g

I have been looking a alot of tanks lately. I really want a 180g. (72x24x24) This tank is a great fit for my space, and would give me plenty of room to grow into. I would also like to have some tangs, and I read about them needing of at least 6 feet of tank.

While looking for 180s I have come across several 210s. The foot print is the same, but the tank is 5" taller. I know that this makes them a little harder to reach into, but that does not concern me as much as the lighting requirements.

How much more lighting is needed to pentrate the extra 5"? At some point I would possibly like to entertain having a clam, and I know that I would have to pentrate light to the bottom for the clam.

If the 210 is not a wise choice them I will stop looking at them in conjunction with the 180s.

(I feel like I am drinking from a fire hydrant right now. My heads about to burst.)

Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ANYONE?

I have run into this question again as I was looking at yet another 210g aquarium. The 180g aquariums have a water depth of 24", and the 210g have a depth of 29".

I would like to have a sand bed, and I figure this will be about two inches........?????? ......so a water depth of 21-22" in the 180, and 26-27" in the 210.

Is there some chart showing the recomended par/watts values for different water depths versus what corals you are trying to grow?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, not a saltie here. Everything I've read about reef tanks basically says lighting and critter placement is hit or miss. Reefers move stuff around until it appears to be happy. For a tank that deep, metal halides would probably be the best choice for good PAR readings. LEDs put out some pretty good PAR too. I've been researching Cree LEDs for a FW planted tank and I've found a lot of encouraging information concerning their PAR.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I believe that T5HO is good for up to 24". For the 210 you almost have to have MH`s to penetrate the depth of the tank. I would almost suggest MH`s for the 180 also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com