Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to faerykisses
Lighting Schedule

Can you guys give me some advise on a good lighting schedule to keep for my fish friends. When I leave in the morning, I usually turn the lights on, and at night I turn both of them off. Do they need a better schedule.
Also, is there any harm in it being completely dark, at night it is pitch black.

I want to get them on a good schedule that best for them, even if its not for me (ie. lights on at night) if required. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

"Fish are friends, not food"
faerykisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Faerykisses!! I need to know his too! I have read that not being on a schedule can cause them to stress out. I have been kinda following natures schedule. I turn the lights on when the sun comes up and off when it goes down. I know they have a type of lights that are called moonlights. I wonder if these simulate sunrise & sunset? Tinia

tmkx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
it's certinaly helpful to have them on a consistent time, this is how it is in the natural world.

IMO, get yourself a timer, a cheap dial timer can be purchased for less than $10 at a hardware store.

What i have, is two timers, one for my Actinic lights and one for my daylight bulbs.

My Actinics come on for one hour by themselves, then my daylights come on and they are both on for 10 hours. Then my daylights shut off and leave my actinics still on for another hour. Then full darkness for 12 hours.

My tank seems pretty happy with the schedule.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to faerykisses
Thanks, i appreciate it. I will start them on this type of 10 on, 12 off schedule today.
"Fish are friends, not food"
faerykisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
My actinics come on at noon and off at 10pm. My MH lights come on at 1pm and off at 9pm.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
It depends on when you want to view you tank. My tank is in my room and I prefer the relaxation of the moonlighting at night. If you prefer to view at night you may consider a light schedule that revolves around your viewing time.

I do 12 hours on 12 hours off. I keep it consistent with the lighting outside. In the mornings my actinic comes on when the sun starts to come out, then about 45 mins later when the sun brightens up my room a bit, I have my halide turn on. Then at night the halide turns off when it starts getting dark and then my actinic lights are on another 45 mins or so, then they turn off and the moonlights turn on. I like to keep the habitat as consistent to nature as possible.

You should purchase a timer like previously stated to keep the schedule consistent.

Moon lighting is something you may want to look into. It provides a more natural environment for your friends, allows you to view at night, and looks really cool as well. It is also inexpensive.

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting, schedule

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com