Lighting: Sufficient or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have a 20 gallon tank I would like to keep some corals and anemones. I have purchased PCs that have a total 110w. Is that sufficient for a 20 gallon? It's a little over 5 watts per gallon. Too much, too less?

You could keep some beginner hardy corals such as mushrooms and zoo's as far as an anenome You would probably need more lighting and a mature system. You will hear many say if your tank has not been running for atleast a year you should not try an anenome due to your tank not being fully mature. HTH

One more question:

I've read that lights tend to heat up, does this generally mean that the light itself heats up or that the light heats the aquarium itself up?

Thanks...

Both, but what matters is the temp. of your tank(water). Some lights, esp the MH 's, get really hot and it may bring the temp up to unsafe levels. I have a PC fixture and I've noticed that when I turn off my lights, the temp drops .6 deg. F In an hour or so. I'm pretty sure that temp changes that small are negligable.

Which PC lights do you have?

You have plenty of light to keep a large range of corals. Mushrooms, polyps, zoos, leathers, LPS and even some select SPS. You also do have enough for a low to mid light anenomes. I suggest a bulb tip of some kind. I agree with John in the fact that you should wait around a year before adding one.

You have plenty of light to keep a large range of corals. Mushrooms, polyps, zoos, leathers, LPS and even some select SPS. You also do have enough for a low to mid light anenomes. I suggest a bulb tip of some kind. I agree with John in the fact that you should wait around a year before adding one.

I totally agree! You could keep soft corals with less light than you have now, and even some type of anemone's. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom