Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lighting suggestions for 75g

Hey guys I've just acquired a 75g aquarium and I'm debating on what kind of lighting i should use for it. I would love to have LEDs since they are super efficient but they are also super expensive. The tank is 48" long and 18" deep so i need something that will be strong enough to light a deep aquarium and long enough to fit it.
Ive also considered fluorescent but i cant seem to find anything online that holds more than one bulb and i want more than just white light. Ive heard having blues help make the tank look better and bring out the colors of the fish.
Im fairly new to different types and intensities of lighting as well as colors and all that fun stuff. Any suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated and super helpful.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Disc...

I use Solarmax lighting in my larger tanks. Roughly $90.00 shipped. Two bulbs is all you need for standard lighting. One that's 6500 to 6700K and the other at 10,000K. This gives most easy to grow plants good lighting. Add to this a bit of Seachem's Comprehensive liquid plant food dosed every two weeks when you change half the tank water and your plants will do well.

B

Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Is this for a salt tank or fresh? Just a fish only, or will there be plants or corals?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

Its for fresh. Id like to have plants and fish. I plan on stocking it with tropical fish and medium level plants
Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #5

Medium lighting. Not level. Sorry
Old 04-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What are you looking to spend? It's going to cost you around 200.00 for an LED fixture. Not a ton of money, but you'll never have to change a bulb.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After picking them up myself, I recommend Catalina Aquarium lights. Quality builds, great reflectors, I used a single bulb over my 60x18x21 tank and had great growth for all the low/med light plants I kept.

Tags
75g, light, lighting, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com