Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by maporsche
So with your suggestions, the MH setup for my particular tank would run upwards of $650.
Aquatraders has some of the best deals on lights I've seen.

You could do a 60" MH/PC for $349 plus about $50 for shipping giving you 785W
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=184
Wow, that is a great price. Thanks for posting. A couple of questions about the setup. 1) I could only use one timer because there is only 1 power cord. Is there a problem with that? 2) The enclosure for the lights has a splash guard but is there anything else I'd need to worry about. This light would go in my canopy (about 10in from the water). 3) It looks like this sytem comes with the bulbs included. Are these bulbs quality? 4) Have you ordered from them before, are they reputable?

Old 11-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The one cord is what stops some people from ordering from this company due to the fact they don’t want ALL the lights on with timers or they don’t want to have to switch them on\off themselves. It might be possible to rewire them but I wouldn’t attempt it unless I was a qualified electrician. IMO for the price I can do it manually. It really only becomes more of an issue with going out of town for extended periods of time.

From the looks of it I don’t think it would fit easily in a canopy which is why they have mounting brackets similar to these: http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=123

But if your canopy was large enough to house it I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, just make sure it’s vented well.

Not sure about the bulbs or service but you could PM lando about his MH/PC purchase from them. He has stated that he is happy with the lights themselves.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...hlight=#524490

Personally I’m hopping I do hear from more people here about these lights as the price is right but have little to go on for the service. I know they run out of stock often which can be a pain but for the size you are looking for it’s not currently an issue.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I would think a 2x250 would work. It might be dimmer on the side but 3 MH's on a 5ft tank seem over kill to me. You can use VHO pr PC's to hide this. Heat will be an issue with 3 MH's. I know a guy that uses 2 400W on a 6ft 125 gal and it looks nice. He uses VHO lights to suppliment.

I bought my 2x250 retro for around $200 I think used. You could always do that. Depends on if you want to build a canopy or not.

Just another .02
Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
I would think a 2x250 would work. It might be dimmer on the side but 3 MH's on a 5ft tank seem over kill to me.
The 3 MH bulbs that are on the aquatraders site are 175w which comes to 525w. Is there much of a heat difference with 3 175w versus 2 250w which add up to 500w?

I use PC so I really don’t know. My lfs uses these lights from ODYSSEA and the tanks look great. The lights are all mounted from the ceiling about 10” from the top of the tanks.

I would imagine if you have a center bracket supporting the tank instead of 2 spaced that the 3rd light could pose a problem with heat though.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
The one cord is what stops some people from ordering from this company due to the fact they don’t want ALL the lights on with timers or they don’t want to have to switch them on\off themselves. It might be possible to rewire them but I wouldn’t attempt it unless I was a qualified electrician. IMO for the price I can do it manually. It really only becomes more of an issue with going out of town for extended periods of time.

From the looks of it I don’t think it would fit easily in a canopy which is why they have mounting brackets similar to these: http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=123

But if your canopy was large enough to house it I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, just make sure it’s vented well.

Not sure about the bulbs or service but you could PM lando about his MH/PC purchase from them. He has stated that he is happy with the lights themselves.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...hlight=#524490

Personally I’m hopping I do hear from more people here about these lights as the price is right but have little to go on for the service. I know they run out of stock often which can be a pain but for the size you are looking for it’s not currently an issue.
I'm currently building my own canopy (the base/frame is in the garage drying now) so depending on the dimensions I could make it fit.

Now with the light/timer issue. I raised that question but I really don't know what the problem is. Would it be bad to have those lights on at the same time as the flourescents? I know very little about the lighting requirements of a reef tank so please excuse my ignorance.

I will be emailing the company today to find out the dimensions and the cooling requirements.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maporsche
Now with the light/timer issue. I raised that question but I really don't know what the problem is. Would it be bad to have those lights on at the same time as the fluorescents? I know very little about the lighting requirements of a reef tank so please excuse my ignorance.
Most people like to cycle their lights at different times. For example:

PC on from 10am to 8pm
MH on from 11am to 7pm
Moon lights on from 7pm to morning.

This is just a basic example as I don’t have MH or a reef system, just a FOWLR.

I think lighting both all the time could lead to excessive algae growth. I’d ask the more experienced reefers how they light their tanks & for how long.

Tags
halide, light, lighting, metal, metal halide, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com