Lighting suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevnvan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Requesting advice...My tank is a 92 gal. corner tank with a couple anemones (Carpet and Purple tip) a couple types of Xenia, a Toadstool Leather 2 false percs, neon dottyback, yellow tang and snowflake eel ( being relocated soon) I have run my tank on a JBJ 4 x 36w PC unit for 3 years but I am starting to go with more corals and want to upgrade my lights to match my needs. I have narrowed it down to 2 units and have gotten advice from the LFS's either way so now I turn to the real experts :) here are the choices: #1 = 1x250MH and 2x65PCs or #2 = 1x400MH and 4x36PCs...I am worried about the 400 being pretty hot over this tank and that i might have to raise the light to a point that diffuses the effectiveness of it...Well any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance

How long is the longest part of the tank. The general recommendation is ( I believe) 1x250 watt per two feet of tank length. I'm not sure you would even need the pc's if you go with 2x250's. If you diy the hood you can add two fans(radioshack comp fans) and you will never have to worry about heat unless you live in an extremely hot area.

I use 2 250w 14K MH for my tank as well as 4x65w Coralife pcs. With anemones, you need stronger lighting for sure. According to the specs on my MH's, one will cover 2 feet, so my tank is 4 feet. Of course I had to build a taller canopy with fans to keep the heat down, but it was worth it!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom