Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-26-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to FishyFamily
Lighting System

My husband and I want to build a 24" dual light system to affix to the bottom of a shelf that will be attached to the wall above our 35gal hex saltwater tank. (We just started our tank about a month and a half ago.)

My question is... can we use ballasts from a place such as home depot or lowes or do we have to buy our ballasts from aquarium suppliers?

FishyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
You can use any ballast as long as it's the same type ballast and bulb, ie flourescent, vho, pc or mh. You can't use a flourescent bulb ballast with a mh for example.

125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd also strongly recommend electronic ballasts. Lamps keep their color longer, they don't buzz/flicker, and waste less energy.
55g reef, 2x250W 10k MH + 2x96W PC actninc, 10g sump, AquaC Urchin skimmer, 65lbs LR

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I second the electronic ballasts. you could look at hellolights.com they carry retro fit kits and every thing you need.
NewInTown is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com