Lighting system for 27 gallon stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enervate7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello my fellow Hobbyist I setup my 27 gallon hexagon saltwater aquarium. I have about 30-40lbs of live rock and 15-20lbs live sand . Everything is running smooth and have a damsel already in place. I want to add corals but I need a good lighting system. Unfortunately I have a stock lighting system with fluorescent bulbs. Due to the size of the hexagon I'm limited on what I can place for lighting system. I want to install moonlight led and t5 light for the tank. Any suggestions on the appropriate lighting system for the 27 hex tank? My tank is a marineland tank . As well what's an ideal lighting system for it's size?

There are so many lighting options available. What is your budget for lighting? And no a uv sterilizer has no place in a reef tank IMO.

I'm a Freshy but I think for that tank you'll be best off with one if the high power rectangular LEDs, you'd have to suspend it above the tank..

ok i have a few words of advice for you bud,

1.) get that damsel out while you can or anything you put in the tank after that little guy will feel his wraith.. no joke.. since he was the first added he has claimed all of your tanks domain i promise you.

2.) a uv sterilizer has no place in the reef keeping hobby, its mostly a freshwater thing to treat algae and other bacteria like ich, but in the reef keeping hobby algae and bacteria is what you need for your tank to thrive, so in turn it does more bad than good.

3.) your best bet for a 27g hex is probably going to be a single taotronics or comparable 120w dimmable led fixture thats actually reef capable.. link--> 120W LED Aquarium Lighting Full Spectrum Coral Reef Growing Moonlight Dimmable | eBay

4.) i didnt read anything about a filter system in your post so im assuming you dont have a sump, and if your going to want corals your going to need a skimmer a small one would work but since you have a hex tank your very limited in choice, like an aquaticlife 115 or a hydor slim skim theyre both in-tank skimmers and worked great for me and your corals will love you for it.

Ty guys for your input. I do not have a price limit. Unfortunately the damsel I had in placed was chopped up from circulation pump from marineland ;(. So I currently have no fish ATM. I just order from eBay a hydor 550 citculation pump .I'm actually using fluval canister 306. ( yes I'm aware it's a nitrate factory) but it's was given for for free)I have chemipure and purigen for filtration media. For the lighting system anything compact is good. Also for skimmer what are the links for them? Ty again guys!!!

Then any leds will mostly work. The eBay 120 watt ones big tex linked are good. If you're looking for name brand stuff then the kessil 360, ecotech radion, ai hydra or vega would all be great as well but they're $$$ :)

I honestly want a multi function light system that's has the options to have the led light for corals and a moonlight.

Ty guys for your input. I do not have a price limit. Unfortunately the damsel I had in placed was chopped up from circulation pump from marineland ;(. So I currently have no fish ATM. I just order from eBay a hydor 550 citculation pump .I'm actually using fluval canister 306. ( yes I'm aware it's a nitrate factory) but it's was given for for free)I have chemipure and purigen for filtration media. For the lighting system anything compact is good. Also for skimmer what are the links for them? Ty again guys!!!

Aquaticlife mini skimmer:
Aquarium Protein Skimmer: AquaticLife Internal Mini Skimmer 115

Hydor Slim Skim nano skimmer:
Aquarium Protein Skimmer: AquaticLife Internal Mini Skimmer 115

the hydor evo 550 might be a little much for that tank, i would say a pair of koralia nano 240s or maybe 425s would be way more than enough, plus your output from the canister will give you good flow as well, with a hex tank you dont have alot of lateral space to need a big powerhead to push the water across the entirte tank IMO

Last edited:
I have to redesign my hood and possibly put plexiglass as the hood and purchase the 120w bc the rest are about 200 and up lol. I don't wanna spend that much.is there another way to mount the light with fixtures that hang over the aquarium? I was looking at Marine depot they had something but not sure it can work with my stand. I will send you guys pixs of the tank once I get home! Ty again

Btw what are good online stores that's sell items for cheaper price besides eBay??? In regards to live fish and corals ?

I have to redesign my hood and possibly put plexiglass as the hood and purchase the 120w bc the rest are about 200 and up lol. I don't wanna spend that much.is there another way to mount the light with fixtures that hang over the aquarium? I was looking at Marine depot they had something but not sure it can work with my stand. I will send you guys pixs of the tank once I get home! Ty again

You can get 1/4" glass cut at a glass shop for around $10/pane I just had some cut for my 75g. You can also make a small frame for the lights to rest on out of 1x2 wood or even 1x3 if available. Diy is cheaper than anything you can find online bud.

Back
Top Bottom