Lighting timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgraz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have a recommendation for a good timer that can control 3 different sets of lights. I want to be able to run my daylights and actinics at the same time but come on at different times. and have my moonlights come on later when they are done. All I have found by me is either seperate timers or ones that only control day and night.
Thanks
Graz

craig_will2513 said:
can you tell me what actinics are please.. iam still new to this

Actinic's are the bulbs that give you the blue Spectrum to your lighting.I always like to say they make your corals pop.

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion.

IMO, two $5 timers from walmart would be your cheapest route.... just time your actinics and daylights separately. They make timers that run dual settings, etc... but they're also pretty expensive (as you can see from the link posted above).

IMO, two $5 timers from walmart would be your cheapest route.... just time your actinics and daylights separately. They make timers that run dual settings, etc... but they're also pretty expensive (as you can see from the link posted above).

I have 2 -3.47$ timers from wallyworld. They work ok but I just upgraded my lights on my new 29 gal salt to 96 watts, 2-T5 12ks, 2 actinic, and two led moonlights. The plug to the actinics on the fixture is grounded and while I dont know why since the daylights and moonlights are not grounded, the cheap timers do not accomadate the grounded plug. Hmm. I will probably buy the coralife dual or the digital single and use the cheap timer for the moonlights.

Yep walmart is the cheapest I totally agree. I just listed it cause it had the 3 settings. I'd go with the 2 timers from walmart if I had enough outlets LOL :)

I have 2 -3.47$ timers from wallyworld. They work ok but I just upgraded my lights on my new 29 gal salt to 96 watts, 2-T5 12ks, 2 actinic, and two led moonlights. The plug to the actinics on the fixture is grounded and while I dont know why since the daylights and moonlights are not grounded, the cheap timers do not accomadate the grounded plug. Hmm. I will probably buy the coralife dual or the digital single and use the cheap timer for the moonlights.

I believe they have adapters that you can use for plugs that are not grounded which makes them become grounded cause you plug your plug into the adapter and the adapter into the outlet. I think they cost less than a dollar. I used to have to use the adapters all the time on almost everything I owned.

I wouldn't ever use those on an aquarium... you should really have anything plugged in to your aquarium on a GFCI. At minimum, if it comes with a ground, you should use it. My timers from walmart have grounds on them. They're Brinks brand and have little clips that sit down on the dial. They come with 4, so you can do two light cycles. For plugs, those 2 for $5 surge protectors work well, as long as you don't overload the circuit.

I believe they have adapters that you can use for plugs that are not grounded which makes them become grounded cause you plug your plug into the adapter and the adapter into the outlet. I think they cost less than a dollar. I used to have to use the adapters all the time on almost everything I owned.

Hey I remember those things. LOL. I may have one around somewhere.

I bought 1 surge protector with a timer from Lowe's and 2 timers from WallyWorld that have the grounded outlets. The timers were less than $6 each. The only thing I dont like about them is the outlet is on the side of the unit. I have 3 lighting circuits, 1 blue LED set and 2 pairs of T5HO fluorescents. I ended up using 1 pair of fluorescents on the surge protector timer and plugging in another surge protector into one of the constant on outlets. The physical size of the timers, with the plugs in the outlet on the sides takes up a lot of space, covering all but one of the outlets on the second surge protector.

See the diagram I made (cheesy, but fairly accurate)

Careful with that constant outlet. Just double check it. I came home today and my lights were off (as should be because I have reduced time on them). I turned the blues on in manual, so I could look around for a little bit since was working during the timed cycle and when I turned the light on.....Hummmmm one of the powerheads that I have set in that constant outlet turned on. So that "constant outlet" I have to check and make sure that I didn't plug the powerhead into the wrong one. LOL, I'm betting that's exactly what I did as I've been so scatter brained lately.

Just giving a heads up :)

Back
Top Bottom