Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting timer

Anyone have a recommendation for a good timer that can control 3 different sets of lights. I want to be able to run my daylights and actinics at the same time but come on at different times. and have my moonlights come on later when they are done. All I have found by me is either seperate timers or ones that only control day and night.
Thanks
Graz

Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquarium Light Timers: Coralife Power Center

I have the dual one though I don't have moonlights or led's yet. Works great once I got it set. (I was brain dead that day). Very simple to use though. Hope this helps.

The dual one has settings for daylight, actinics, AND LED/moon.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

can you tell me what actinics are please.. iam still new to this
Old 09-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_will2513
can you tell me what actinics are please.. iam still new to this
Actinic's are the bulbs that give you the blue Spectrum to your lighting.I always like to say they make your corals pop.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion.

IMO, two $5 timers from walmart would be your cheapest route.... just time your actinics and daylights separately. They make timers that run dual settings, etc... but they're also pretty expensive (as you can see from the link posted above).

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post

IMO, two $5 timers from walmart would be your cheapest route.... just time your actinics and daylights separately. They make timers that run dual settings, etc... but they're also pretty expensive (as you can see from the link posted above).
I have 2 -3.47$ timers from wallyworld. They work ok but I just upgraded my lights on my new 29 gal salt to 96 watts, 2-T5 12ks, 2 actinic, and two led moonlights. The plug to the actinics on the fixture is grounded and while I dont know why since the daylights and moonlights are not grounded, the cheap timers do not accomadate the grounded plug. Hmm. I will probably buy the coralife dual or the digital single and use the cheap timer for the moonlights.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post

Yep walmart is the cheapest I totally agree. I just listed it cause it had the 3 settings. I'd go with the 2 timers from walmart if I had enough outlets LOL

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 09-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterRick View Post
I have 2 -3.47$ timers from wallyworld. They work ok but I just upgraded my lights on my new 29 gal salt to 96 watts, 2-T5 12ks, 2 actinic, and two led moonlights. The plug to the actinics on the fixture is grounded and while I dont know why since the daylights and moonlights are not grounded, the cheap timers do not accomadate the grounded plug. Hmm. I will probably buy the coralife dual or the digital single and use the cheap timer for the moonlights.
I believe they have adapters that you can use for plugs that are not grounded which makes them become grounded cause you plug your plug into the adapter and the adapter into the outlet. I think they cost less than a dollar. I used to have to use the adapters all the time on almost everything I owned.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I wouldn't ever use those on an aquarium... you should really have anything plugged in to your aquarium on a GFCI. At minimum, if it comes with a ground, you should use it. My timers from walmart have grounds on them. They're Brinks brand and have little clips that sit down on the dial. They come with 4, so you can do two light cycles. For plugs, those 2 for $5 surge protectors work well, as long as you don't overload the circuit.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
I believe they have adapters that you can use for plugs that are not grounded which makes them become grounded cause you plug your plug into the adapter and the adapter into the outlet. I think they cost less than a dollar. I used to have to use the adapters all the time on almost everything I owned.
Hey I remember those things. LOL. I may have one around somewhere.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com