Lighting today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nafuzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys and gals. I haven't posted in awhile but I wanted to try and get some opinions. What's everyone's opinion on best possible lighting scenarios for reefs? LEDs seem to be pretty popular, but halides are still powerful, and t5s. Please help a guy out with your 2 cents :).

carey said:
How big is the tank, dimension wise and what do you want to keep?

I'm planning to restart from scratch on a 70 gal reef various kinds of corals and definitely a clam or 2, with a 55 gal sump/refuge, and a separate 30 gal refuge. It's going to be months of planning saving learning and prioritizing, but I'm stuck on the lights. I'm thinking halide and t5 actinic but I'm hearing a lot of rave on those LEDs

mr_X said:
what is your budget? you can keep anything you want under a 6 lamp T5 fixture in an 18" tall tank.

Well that's the thing I'm pre-planning/shopping so I don't know about budget quite yet. And I'm sorry its "21" tall...18 wide

even still. 6 lamps will probably work.
Leds are going to cost you 800 bucks or so unless you build them yourself, and even then, there isn't great savings. The savings come in later when you don't have to purchase new lamps, and the electric bill is less.

mr_X said:
even still. 6 lamps will probably work.
Leds are going to cost you 800 bucks or so unless you build them yourself, and even then, there isn't great savings. The savings come in later when you don't have to purchase new lamps, and the electric bill is less.

If you wernt worried about price "at time of purchase" What would you choose for my system and why???

Back
Top Bottom