Lighting unit help please?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becki273

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a clear seal 64L tank which I've only recently just bought the hood for £35 for a piece of tin with 2 flaps - that's it no brackets... Nothing. Had I know if have made my own....... Anyway

So I'm a bit stumped now about the lighting? I know I need a total lighting unit but unsure what's the best for my sized tank? And the cheapest option and where to get it from I live in Wales UK. We originally wanted a day light and moonlight fixture but after seeing the prices for them a simple day light would do me! It's a 2 foot tank if that helps.

Thank you in advance :)

No only artificial plants
You could these;
LED Aquarium Light 24" Double Hi Lumen Planted tank Light Fixture | eBay

New T5 HO Aquarium Overhead Light 60cm 2 x 24W Marine Reef Fish Tank CE 10000K | eBay.

The first link also sells hang on LEDs. The second is cheaper and will suit if you ever plan on planting(real). I have the first one, the 18" model. It does stretch for a 60cm tank but the 24" model will give better tank coverage. The second one, I am picking up tomorrow....
Another place to try is Allpondsolutions on ebay...
With both of the above lights, you don't need to use a hood and in my opinion it make the tank look sleeker!!

Thank you but as I've only just bought the hood I was hoping to have a fixture to fit that? Plus £80 - £90 is quite a bit out of my price range! I don't mind doing a bit of DIY to get the light fitted so looking more at purchasing the power terminals, fixtures and bulbs? Just wondering what brand, size etc would be good for my tank? The over tank lighting hoods look really nice and if I had the money would defiantly get one but unfortunately can't afford!

Just thought I'd update on the lighting. In the end I bought the interpet aquarium lighting starter unit, I picked mine up from 'The Range' (UK store) for £25 and then the lighting tube for £6.99. If anyone has or had the same difficulty as me being a complete novice to lighting equipment check this product out. Came with all the fixing brackets you need and very simple to use as it has flexible end connectors for the tube you can pretty much put any size tube in provided its a interpet T8. The only issue I had with it was the left cable is quite short and as it is not suitable to sit the power unit in the hood it didn't quite reach the floor. But for the price I'm not complaining :) thank you Ian for your advice

I'm not sure what help I was but i'm glad you got sorted. It can be a pain for us in the British Isles, trying to get decent equipment at a decent price. Can you post some pictures, I would love to see some...

Ah I'm not at home until tomorrow evening will post some tomorrow for you, have a look on the Internet I think it's awesome very easy to fit just a dab of super glue is all you need :)

I'm not sure what help I was but i'm glad you got sorted. It can be a pain for us in the British Isles, trying to get decent equipment at a decent price. Can you post some pictures, I would love to see some...

I've added picture to the 64litre fresh water tank album of the lighting unit

Back
Top Bottom