Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lighting upgrade?

ok after allot of research and thought. ive decided that maybe a Mh/t5ho combo might be my best route while searching on different sites and ebay i found this fixture
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUARIUM-MET...4#ht_845wt_821
Can anybody give me there input on this fixture in the 36" modal. any input would be great

TIA

paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fixtures seem pretty cheap in price. Would like to know what others think about this fixture as well.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That was my first thought but after reading the info on the fixture I had to get other opinons. For the price I think its a food fixture except for not having any fans witch isn't an big deal because my new hood will have built in fans anyway to help with the heat
Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anybody else have any opinions on this fixture
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've got the same model in the 24" size in my wishlist on ebay, lol, I was wondering the same thing. it looks to be a decent fixture for the price.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Really thinking about going MH on my reef. Do they really use a lot more electricity than T5s or LEDs?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
Really thinking about going MH on my reef. Do they really use a lot more electricity than T5s or LEDs?
I'm not sure about electricity, but I would think so. They also generate a lot more heat. To the plus side, they do create a very nice shimmer effect, which LEDs do also.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
Energy consumption is a function of voltage and wattage (which is about the same thing as volt-amps). If you have 400 watts of MH the ballast will draw a bit and the total consumption for one lamp would be about 450 watts. A 4' T5HO lamp is 54 watts. Because the ballast is electronic on the T5 there is almost no energy consumption. So.....a 3 lamp MH would be 1350 watts. Run for 8 hours that equals 10.8 Kilowatt hours. At .07 per kilowatt hour that is $.756 per day. An 8 lamp 4' T5 fixture would be 432 watts. Run for 8 hours that would be 3.456 Kilowatt hours. At .07 per kilowatt hour that is $.242 per day. Now if you want to talk LED. LOL
Old 10-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks nice. Are those t5's directional or is that just the design? Now Im thinking about the fixture for my upgrade. I would think the lack of fans might be an issue though, with everything built into the unit the heat inside that metal housing might get pretty darn hot without fans. If I get one it would not be housed in a canopy would the outside air be enough to keep things cool?
Who is gonna be the first to take the plunge?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think I'm going to order this fixture. Ofcourse heat will be a issue but I will be putting 4 fans in my hood 2 to bring in the cool air and 2 to draw out the heat. I'm not sure if the t5 are directional but that would be awesome tho.

Tags
light, lighting, lighting upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com