Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting upgrade

So, Christmas is here and I'm looking at upgrading the stock lights on my 29 biocube to a Rapid LED retro kit. I don't know much about lighting so I wanted to reach out for some insight on this kit. It's really the only way I can upgrade and keep my hood so here's my question...
Will this light kit provide enough light for SPS and anemones?
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...etrofit/Detail

Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are 24 LEDs(12 blue & 12 white) which are 3 watts a piece giving me a total of 72 watts. I can also buy the LEDs with lenses to give me a better Par for a little extra.

Like I said, I don't know very much about lighting so I don't know if this is going to be a good thing or if it's even worth the upgrade.
I believe my current lights are 36 watts per bulb blue and white giving me a total of 72 watts, so I'm not increasing my wattage but I don't know if the par effect makes it better or not or even anything in general.

Please, any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as I know, LED light is double the watts as pc lights. So really you are getting 144 watts from the LEDs.

Anemones and SPS need really good water quality too. You can get montipora and birdsnests SPS corals with stock lights. And lots of LPS corals, such as torch and frogspawn, look like anemones.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So you're saying 3 watts = 6 watts? If that's right then it would definitely be worth it!
Also probably very important to get the kit with the dimmer in case it's too much light for some of the LPS I have. I'm not planning on getting an anemone. I just learned my lesson with them especially in such a small tank. My water quality is always great, I have good filtration and keep up on my weekly water changes. All water tests always show 0 trites, trates, and phosphates with steady levels of calcium around 500. Keeping ph at 8.2-3 is never a problem as im constantly monitoring params. Tank is pretty well established (8 months old)and existing LPS are growing like weeds.

The stock lighting is just sooo bland and every time I buy a new coral when it's under LEDs at the LFS they look so vibrant until I get them in my tank and I'm pretty disappointed at how dull they look.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't think it works that way. i think that's plenty of light. i would make sure you get the dimmable drivers so you can turn them down and adjust color as needed. you will end up killing most of your coral if you swap these lights without some sort of acclimation- i would suggest keeping them turned down to about 25% and slowly ramping them up over a period of weeks.
i'm sure you are using API for your calcium kit, and i doubt your calcium is 500. API's calcium kit is not accurate.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i don't think it works that way. i think that's plenty of light. i would make sure you get the dimmable drivers so you can turn them down and adjust color as needed. you will end up killing most of your coral if you swap these lights without some sort of acclimation- i would suggest keeping them turned down to about 25% and slowly ramping them up over a period of weeks.
i'm sure you are using API for your calcium kit, and i doubt your calcium is 500. API's calcium kit is not accurate.
Are you agreeing with greenturtle that LEDs are double wattage giving me a total of 144 watts? Also, would it be beneficial to get the bulbs with lenses?

I didn't think about acclimating them to the light. Thanks for the info!

I'm using sea chem test kits for my params.
However, I used to use API until I realized how crappy and hard to use they were compared to the sea chem
Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I made a thread about this a while ago and that is what someone said about this exact LED kit. I just assumed that they were right :/
Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm disagreeing with the idea that led light is measured as double pc light. there are many more variables in play to assume this. some of them are less than PC.
it depends on a lot of things.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i'm disagreeing with the idea that led light is measured as double pc light. there are many more variables in play to assume this. some of them are less than PC.
it depends on a lot of things.
I cant find anywhere that tells how many lumens/watt these bulbs put out. However, I did find this:
-Min. Lumens 139 @ 350mA
-1500mA max. Drive current
- 5000-8,300k color temperature

I dont understand this stuff at all so i have no idea as to how much better they are compared to the pc's.

One question I have is what exactly is par and would it be beneficial to buy lenses to increase par and if so, which ones? They have 40, 55, 65, and 80 degree lenses.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

PAR is photosynthetically active radiation. It's the light that photosynthetic corals and plants use.
I think you are going to want a lot of blues to offset those yellow LEDs (5000-8300k) You might want to look for ones that are 10,000k or maybe even a bit bluer.

Tags
light, lighting, lighting upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com