Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey guys

So I'm upgrading my 4x54w t5ho for LEDs! I ordered my first taotronic 120w Friday should be here by Friday and gonna order the 2nd one at the end of the month. Never really did a build thread so I'm gonna do a light upgrade one lol. So I'll post a pic later of how my tank looks now and keep it going to see how the lights make a difference (so kind of a review of the taotronic lighting system to see how well they work and how LEDs do with coral growth)

So with my 4 t5 bulbs are 2 marine glo and 2 power glo bulbs and I've been able to keep (coral wise)

Frogspawn
Hammer
Montis (purple haze, grape, orange, red, and tyree flower petal (all which are less then a month old so can't really say I've kept them under these bulbs but they are doing good and have shown growth))
Mushrooms (red, purple, green, and green fuzzy)
Kenya tree
Duncan
Brain
Doughnut coral
Zoas and palys
And a rose bubble tip anemone

My tank is a 55 gallon reef and has been up for 14 to 15 months and this is my first saltwater and first LEDs so my review is kind of what u take it for since I'm still new but thought I could show how it affects coral growth and just overall look of the aquarium! Thanks guys and any advice and help is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey aco, did you get the dimmable ones ? I'll be following cause I'm tired of paying for bulbs, and am looking into 3 dimmable units for my 180. Will be down the road as I just changed bulbs recently, but yearly expense on 20 3 ft. T5's is killin me. Love the light, but just too expensive.
Tank is 6 by 2 by 2, and from what I've read, 3 of these units would be perfect.
Anyway, good luck and I'll be following to see how it goes for you!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No just the regular ones I couldn't wait the month for the shipping lol but I'll add a pic once I get home in the morning tomorrow of my tank currently
Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know theres alot of good reviews on this sight about these lights. I was even about to buy them myself but though some reading of reviews about how the light actually works I changed my mind real quick. The light is extreamlly low quality and for 580$ you can build your own Cree LED fixtures from rapid led at least thats what I spent on both of mine that I ordered. I got two of them and they will have 4 different bulb colors the fixtures will have 3 dimmers. LMK how they work out I was just to scared myself to purchase them.

I read that the non dimmable ones often bleach all the corals in the tank because they are at 100% from the start. So keep a very close eye on your corals. If you are going to hang it I would start them high and move them down slowly over weeks.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your situation sounds exactly like mine. First saltwater tank, 16 months old, first LEDs, switching from 4x54W t5 to this taotronics fixture.

Subscribed!
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	89477   Click image for larger version

Name:	STA_0019.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	89478  

Name:	STB_0020.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	89479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	89480  

Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

and some more lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	89481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	89482  

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	89483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	89484  

Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

And this is my brain coral i bought it as a rescue coral and it has shown some growth but still needs a lot more lol but bought it for $20 so it was a steal in my eyes and it has been growing a good amount back i think just takes time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	89485  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs
I know theres alot of good reviews on this sight about these lights. I was even about to buy them myself but though some reading of reviews about how the light actually works I changed my mind real quick. The light is extreamlly low quality and for 580$ you can build your own Cree LED fixtures from rapid led at least thats what I spent on both of mine that I ordered. I got two of them and they will have 4 different bulb colors the fixtures will have 3 dimmers. LMK how they work out I was just to scared myself to purchase them.

I read that the non dimmable ones often bleach all the corals in the tank because they are at 100% from the start. So keep a very close eye on your corals. If you are going to hang it I would start them high and move them down slowly over weeks.
Yea idk I have heard enough good reviews on multiple site to give them a try...I am buying egg crates to make a light barrier to lower the light but I am not really worried about that because I don't even have a controller anyways so would have to do the same thing anyways...these lights are rated at same as 400 metal halides I am excited to get my bang for the buck
Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I import units just like the Taotronic ones, but bigger in most cases. I warranty them here in the US. The new dimmable panels are very nice. I have had mine up for over two years now. You can see my tank on YouTube and I don't think I have anything to hide...these fixtures work.
Unless you want the fancy stuff, these panels are just fine for growing all types of corals. I don't know what was inferred by the "low quality" statement as there are dozens of LED manufacturers in China. Most of the DYI parts listed for CREE projects also come from China, such as drivers. PAR is PAR, your corals won't care if you didn't spend $750 per fixture. Yes, start out slowly using some diffuser material at first and adjust your corals to the much stronger PAR, then you will have no bleaching.

Tags
light, lighting, lighting upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com