Lighting Upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend is looking into an Aqueon 15 Gallon Column Tank. Due to it being very tall and the stock lighting not being great (according to everyone I've talked to), she wants to upgrade the lighting. Shell be growing low to medium light plants, but doesn't want to chance them not getting enough light.
She would prefer to just change out the bulbs. We have very limited handiness when it comes to tools and DIY stuff, and she doesn't want to risk ruining the lights or causing a safety hazard.
As my google searches have been largely unhelpful, I was hoping for some suggestions on how to go about modifying the lights? If replacing a bulb won't work, she wanted to get your take on this DIY method. Will these lights be good enough?

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/new-15-gallon-column.243814/

All suggestions would be much appreciated.

There are all kinds of options out there on Amazon for replacement lights. However I am not so sure about the stock light being upgrade-able. From what i ma reading it comes with a full spectrum T5 light

https://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/aquarium-starter-kits/15-column-deluxe-kit

IMO if it is already full spectrum T5 your options are limited with existing T5 florescent...

I'm going to guess at your needs here. The old rule of thumb for florescent lights was 3 watts per gallon for a high medium light to a high light tank.

LEDs are more powerful and more focused. The lamp listed below has a clip on and can also be raised or lowered do to the gooseneck. This gives you ability to increase intensity or decrease it by moving the lamp up and down.

You are trying to set up a lower tech 15 gallon.... I would look into this lamp or others like it possibly. The light frequencies are decent for a planted tank as well. Only $25

Here it is listed on Amazon

Like I said this is just an idea, as there are plenty of these small LED lamps around.

Back
Top Bottom