Lighting upgrade advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well Christmas is coming and I'm thinking of asking for an upgrade to my NO lighting. I don't want to break the bank and would like to keep my exising canopy so MH is out. This is what I've found so far that I like:

48" CORALIFE AQUALIGHT WITH 2-65W ACTINIC / 2-65W 10,000K BULBS

http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/detailcat.asp?CatID=ltpc&SubCatID=esu2#

It's for a 75g tank. The only thing I don't like about that light is that it doesn't have any led moonlights.

Suggestions?

Get the lights I got (see below) for $240 from CaptiveReefs. They have the lunar lights. They're only 40 bucks more... And if you use your AA discount when you order, they're even cheaper than that.

Honestly id sell any lighting you have now and build your own metal halide. You can do it for 1/3 the price if you DIY. Plus it's very easy to do. You can also have someone build you a hood for say....150 bucks. MH look amazing as well, with the shimmer look and all.

I lik the idea of the Coralife Aqualight Lunar. Captivereefs.com should be about as inexspensive as you will find, even ebay. Plus, it is nice to support one of our sponsors. 4x65watt CF lighting will enable you to keep a nice varety of corals down the road.

4x65w would be okay, personally I would go with 4x96w since MH is not an option. Much more possibilities/less restricting invert wise.

Cheers
Steve

Get the lights I got

Thanks for the tip boardsurfer!

personally I would go with 4x96w

Well Steve if you'd be willing to kick in some $$$ I'd be more than happy to go with the 4x96 :p Just kidding of course, you've helped me out in the past and I do value your input.

4x65watt CF lighting will enable you to keep a nice varety of corals down the road.

Would that allow me to keep a variety of anemone's (75g tank) as well?

TIA,
Steve

i see many of the 48 inch 4x65 cf lights on ebay all the time. the max bid price is about $80 with $20 shipping is about $100 total. but those lights are not coralife brand, they are jebo odyssea. still $100 compare to over $200 make u thing twice. they have all the same feautres also, but i wonder about a true test.

havefun said:
4x65watt CF lighting will enable you to keep a nice varety of corals down the road.

Would that allow me to keep a variety of anemone's (75g tank) as well?
A BTA may do fine as far as host species but not much else.

Cheers
Steve

The coralife is definatly a nice unit. I have the 72'' aqualight with the six moonlights and it's more than enough for the fish in my 210. However I would definatly uprade it for coral. Probably just get the coralife with the three 20K MH in the 150w flaver and then just put actinics in the pc fixture. Either way when you get yours I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Good Luck!

Its hard to beat the warranty and the factory support that coralife offers. A BTA could survive under thuose lights as long as you feed it solid food 2 times a week.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I'm going to go with the Coralife 4x65 (from Darin).
But, shhhhhh..........I'm not supposed to know what I'm getting for Christmas :lol:

Back
Top Bottom