Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lighting Upgrade for Planted Freshwater Tank

I just got a 45 gallon tank that is 24" deep by 36" wide. I'd like to put in some plants. Nothing fancy. I'll look for low light plants. But, I already know my stock light that came with the hood won't be enough. I've been researching lights and came up with this site that seems to have T5 HO lights for a good price. But, now I'm confused about the color bulbs to get and the temperature. My options are all blue actinic, one white and one blue, one white and one pink, all white or all pink. The temperature choices are: 6500,10000 and 14000

T5-ho 3ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting

brianwestchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

4000K, 6500K, and 10000K are the most popular bulb choices, but your choice is largely driven by personal preference. Some people like their bulbs to be warmer (low kelvin) and some prefer it to be crisper/whiter (higher kelvin). The actual performance varies very little between colors.

6500K are a good option if you don't know what color you like.
Algae creates 75% of the world's oxygen, so really we're all just doing our parts...
aqua_chem is offline   Reply With Quote

freshwater, freshwater tank, light, lighting, lighting upgrade, plant, planted, tan, tank, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com