Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lighting using pre existing hood

I realize that this has been asked a bunch before, I'm just not finding the answer that I need and I'm really inexperienced so I just need a little extra direction. I'm starting off with a 37 gallon aquarium kit including hood and LED light set up. The yank is 22" deep. I realize that I need more light for low light plants than this offers. Is there any products that I can effectively use in conjunction with this hood? I only have about 2" max between the edge of the filter and the pre existing lighting. I thought I might be able to modify the hood on the sides to accommodate the brackets but the height is an issue. I can solder but I simply do not understand enough about what exactly I need to feel confident about just adding LEDs myself. I'm on a pretty tight budget to get this done, which is a big part of the reason I wanted to try to use what I already have. Is this something that is even doable or do I need to get a glass top and a proper light?

Old 06-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you keep low light plants it should be fine. If you wanted to add more LEDs you can buy the cheap strip lights and mount it under the hood next to your stock light.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
If you keep low light plants it should be fine. If you wanted to add more LEDs you can buy the cheap strip lights and mount it under the hood next to your stock light.
Is there anything in particular I need to look for when I buy LED strips? Do I need to alternate red, blue different whites etc or is plain white ok? I've been trying to read as much as I can but most of the information seems to be for plants with higher light requirements. Thank you so much for your advice.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope. Plain old white light will work for low light plants. I think color combination with red and blues makes the tank and fish look better but that could just be a personal preference.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Nope. Plain old white light will work for low light plants. I think color combination with red and blues makes the tank and fish look better but that could just be a personal preference.
Thank you, that just made my life a lot easier.

Tags
hood, light, lighting, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com