Lighting vs healthy fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missileman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been doing some reading on lighting and from what I have read it suggest that you need at least 1 watt or a bit more per gallon for fish to be really happy and healthy.
I have a new 75 gallon I am setting up. It came with a 40 watt flourecent single tube light. I don't plan on using live plants so will an upgrade on the light fixture really make any difference?
Thanks

I can't comment on whether the fish will be happy or healthy, but I do know that a 40 watt bulb over a 75 gallon tank looks a bit dim and dingy compared to how it would look with more wattage.

My brother had a 75-gallon tank with a dual 40 watt hood. When one of the bulbs burned out, it looked a lot less impressive.

Something like this will give you way more lumens for not much money:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...7/cl0/coralifefwt5aqualightdoublestriplight48

I believe more light brings out or enhances fish`s color but I dont believe their health depends on less light. You should be OK. JMO

Goldfish are reputed to grow faster & be bigger & more colorful with high light (preferable outside in the sun). Whether that is due to the light or just better water conditions in a pond, I can't say.

I think you just need enough light for the fish to see. Other than that, I don't think it will make too much of a difference. <And some of the fish that normally live in dark (black) water might not be too happy in really bright light also.>

Back
Top Bottom