Lighting w/Eclipse 2 hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogfries

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I've never had plants before and just upgraded my six gallon Eclipse tank to a 25 gallon tank w/Eclipse 2 hood. The hood contains two 15 watt strip bulbs for a total of 30W, which isn't enough to achieve the minimum 2 - 3 watts per gallon rule. Do bulbs exist that contain more watts than 15W for an 18 inch bulb stip? Thanks!

(I plan to plant/tie java fern, crypt, microsword, anubis, anarchis, wisteria,...spelling may be off)

:?:

The short answer is no. But you can purchase an CF upgrade kit for your hood that will get you much closer. But even then you will only have 32 watts. Not much of a change. I have to say that you really made an error with the purchase of the Eclipse hood for a planted tank. They are far down the list of desirable equipment. What you might want to do is sell the Eclipse hood. Get a Aqua-Clear filter and a canopy and fit it with a 55 watt kit from www.ahsupply.com You can even get the canopy there.

Back
Top Bottom