Lighting/Wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was going to get a PFO system, but changed my mind half way through. I purchased the PFO sockets and extensions, I like the quick connect system. However, I have since gone with the CoralVue elect. ballast, thanks to Darin at Captive Reefs. I do however want to utilize the quick connect wires and sockets if I can.

The question I have is on the wiring form ballast to socket. There are only two wires coming form the ballast to the socket, however the wiring from the socket has three wires. One wire (green) is grounded to socket mount and the other two go to the socket. Don't I need a ground from output to socket or do i just ground the wire from the socket to a screw on the ballast, just doesn't seem like that would do anything. Or is this ballast grounded on the inside and I don't need a ground on the socket itself?
This is for a 250W MH mogul. Please help I don't want to burn my house down.

Should I just get another socket and just eat the PFO Quick Connect?
TIA

Can't help, but I can give you a bump.

I can post a wiring diagram for a magnetic ballast, if that might help.

Attach the ground wire either to the frame of the ballast or to the ground leg of the power cord. Make sure, if you attach to the power cord, that you attach to the ground and not the neutral.

Attach the ground wire either to the frame of the ballast
So basically, the ground wire would go from the socket mount to the frame of the ballast? This just doesn't seem like it would do too much. Which do you think would be the most benificial?
the magnetic won't help, doesn't show a ground wire.
That's exactly what my issue is. There is no ground wire coming out of the ballast from the output harness.

Thanks Kevin and Logan.

We have success. Wired the ground to the ballast as Logan J suggested and all is well. Like the electronic ballas, very quiet and cool compared to the magnetic. I think I made the right choice, only time will tell.

Thanks again
Paul

Back
Top Bottom