Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #1001
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Good question. Stay tuned.....

Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #1002
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd love to see the sunlight's par readings under 24-30" of water

Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #1003
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Good question. Stay tuned.....

if i remember there are some fixtures that will output the same readings if not higher. mrsaltwatertank on youtube did a radeon comparison and i believe the readings were pretty high up there out of the water

Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #1004
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is a little bit off the current topic (sorry) but I was in my lfs a couple of days ago and asked the owner how he liked using the LED's he had over two of the grow out tanks. They are the dimmable taos that are discussed on here. He said they were doing fine, but when I asked him if he planned on converting everything over to them, he became pretty negative about them, saying they weren't cost effective and that he was losing color on some of the acros he had under them. I wish I had asked him what he had them set at, because my first impression was that maybe he was burning them by turning the lights up to high. The thing he said that prompted me to ask this question though, was that he said they don't have the UV that corals require to grow, hence the loss of color.

Now, I know that there are plenty of testimonials on here about the growth and color of their corals, and I have loved my fixtures since I got them, and seen noticeable growth, however these are my first lights so I have nothing else to compare them to, and all the corals I have need moderate lighting at best.

Anyways, I wasn't really sure how to question him on what he meant by UV.. Other than the difference between the ultra violet color and the actual wave length, but even then, I don't know much. I personally have no doubt that these lights can keep anything that I want under them, just would like to know how to convey information to my LFS. It's a little hard to tell him what to do though seeing as how I am very much still a noob in the hobby :P If anyone has any suggestions or talking points I could use in defense of these lights, I would appreciate it!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #1005
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Boy did you open a case of worms! This debate has gone on a while. There is a lot of literature on UV radiation and corals. But most of what they call UV emitters on the market are pretty much just violet colored. Real UV LEDs emit almost no visible light and are quite dangerous to work with. Fiddling with the color spectrum is another debate. Broad spectrum, like MH/actinic combos vs. targeted spectrum like LED and to some lesser extent T5. Both groups have huge success stories. But one thing is what makes the corals "look" best isn't necessarily what will promote the most health and growth.

Selling MH is safe, known, profitable because you will need bulbs, maybe a chiller. And MH is proven. It is also done, stick a fork in it. You'll have to special order bulbs from Russia years from now. LED is where it's at it seems, but I suspect the whole story isn't told yet. I like LEDs just fine. More advantages than disadvantages.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #1006
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Boy did you open a case of worms! This debate has gone on a while. There is a lot of literature on UV radiation and corals. But most of what they call UV emitters on the market are pretty much just violet colored. Real UV LEDs emit almost no visible light and are quite dangerous to work with. Fiddling with the color spectrum is another debate. Broad spectrum, like MH/actinic combos vs. targeted spectrum like LED and to some lesser extent T5. Both groups have huge success stories. But one thing is what makes the corals "look" best isn't necessarily what will promote the most health and growth.

Selling MH is safe, known, profitable because you will need bulbs, maybe a chiller. And MH is proven. It is also done, stick a fork in it. You'll have to special order bulbs from Russia years from now. LED is where it's at it seems, but I suspect the whole story isn't told yet. I like LEDs just fine. More advantages than disadvantages.
lol, as much as I didn't want to open that can, I had to.. I like the fact that you mentioned MH's because when I asked him about using that instead of the LEDs he smirked and said T5's.. I am assuming since they are grow out tanks that they are shallow tanks and the lights are hung as low as possible. However, I fail to see how t5's would provide some sort of uv to grow corals faster than LED's. So I guess my questions is my lfs burning his corals with the taos and then saying that t5's somehow provide more UV than them?

like I said before, I am all in favor of LED and personally think that t5 and MH, all though tried and true, is quickly becoming a dead form of lighting
Old 06-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #1007
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think a mistake is made with LEDs that cause corals to bleach and loose color temporarily under LEDs. Being more frequency specific, they just don't look as bright to the eye as they actually are.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #1008
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I think a mistake is made with LEDs that cause corals to bleach and loose color temporarily under LEDs. Being more frequency specific, they just don't look as bright to the eye as they actually are.
I read info for almost a year before purchasing the taotronic leds and one of the most common thing I read was people underestimating the power of these lights and burning their corals.. I won't be able to go back to my LFS until Friday and was hoping to be able to pose an argument in the fixtures defense. When I go back I will ask some more questions as to what he has it set at and such.. I guess I am mostly just curious as to how he thinks that MH or t5 are somehow emitting more UV (or any??) that the taos
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #1009
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If I could buy a MH fixture that ran heatless, burned for 50,000 hours without roll off, didn't pose a fire hazard and cost a fifth the electricity, I would buy one. Photons are photons. All useful if the plants photosynthesis with it.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #1010
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had great experience with these LEDs. I've had several times where my corals start to bleach out and I've had to move them around and under rocks in order to stop it. I have the dimmables and they are all the way down, about 12" over a 14 " deep tank with no optics. These things really are amazing and you can and will underestimate them!
Another experience was at a lfs, they had them up over 80%! The tank was a standard 60 and the had one unit over it. Every single one of his corals in that tank were bleached. He couldn't figure out why the "color" kept going away in all of his new acquisitions. I turned em all the way down for him and its been about 2 months now. Still mostly bleached but at least they are starting to come back a lil.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com