Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #1011
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Something else I have learned is, look at what your new corals are under. Most of my lfs are still t5's and some mh. Your LEDs are much more powerful than these as they penetrate so well. This is how I have started to bleach several of my corals.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #1012
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
1878 at around 3:00pm.
It would be rather interesting if any fellow reefers with similar par meters from different zones such as florida, hawaii, Australia etc would take reading at certain times of the day just to compare par....the intensity would have to change Drastically imo with different coral growing areas ... It would be interesting just to see the scores

Old 06-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #1013
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

It would be rather interesting if any fellow reefers with similar par meters from different zones such as florida, hawaii, Australia etc would take reading at certain times of the day just to compare par....the intensity would have to change Drastically mo with different coral growing areas ... It would be interesting just to see the scores
There is a published study of just what you suggested. I will try to find it later.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #1014
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadair22 View Post
This is a little bit off the current topic (sorry) but I was in my lfs a couple of days ago and asked the owner how he liked using the LED's he had over two of the grow out tanks. They are the dimmable taos that are discussed on here. He said they were doing fine, but when I asked him if he planned on converting everything over to them, he became pretty negative about them, saying they weren't cost effective and that he was losing color on some of the acros he had under them. I wish I had asked him what he had them set at, because my first impression was that maybe he was burning them by turning the lights up to high. The thing he said that prompted me to ask this question though, was that he said they don't have the UV that corals require to grow, hence the loss of color.

Now, I know that there are plenty of testimonials on here about the growth and color of their corals, and I have loved my fixtures since I got them, and seen noticeable growth, however these are my first lights so I have nothing else to compare them to, and all the corals I have need moderate lighting at best.

Anyways, I wasn't really sure how to question him on what he meant by UV.. Other than the difference between the ultra violet color and the actual wave length, but even then, I don't know much. I personally have no doubt that these lights can keep anything that I want under them, just would like to know how to convey information to my LFS. It's a little hard to tell him what to do though seeing as how I am very much still a noob in the hobby :P If anyone has any suggestions or talking points I could use in defense of these lights, I would appreciate it!
They are way more potent than halides or T5s. The spectrum idea is nonsense. Corals only need the blue wavelength to do well.
The naked eye lies to you when you look at these. You think they are pretty bright...maybe as bright as your old halide unit...maybe even a little dimmer, but make no mistake. I was just talking to the guy who bought my old 265 today, which is 31" deep. He's cooking stuff on the sand bed...lol.
The UV thing is also nonsense. Just like Greg said- The UV diodes are simply violet colored, and not ultraviolet at all.
I've noticed that for sps, It's a matter of acclimation. Mine are just now getting brilliantly colored under these units. It took a while! The important thing is, they are super colorful and growing at a rapid rate.

Tell him to run straight blues for a month or two. His corals will still stay colored up and awesome.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #1015
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

They are way more potent than halides or T5s. The spectrum idea is nonsense. Corals only need the blue wavelength to do well.
The naked eye lies to you when you look at these. You think they are pretty bright...maybe as bright as your old halide unit...maybe even a little dimmer, but make no mistake. I was just talking to the guy who bought my old 265 today, which is 31" deep. He's cooking stuff on the sand bed...lol.
The UV thing is also nonsense. Just like Greg said- The UV diodes are simply violet colored, and not ultraviolet at all.
I've noticed that for sps, It's a matter of acclimation. Mine are just now getting brilliantly colored under these units. It took a while! The important thing is, they are super colorful and growing at a rapid rate.

Tell him to run straight blues for a month or two. His corals will still stay colored up and awesome.
So you could run straight blue LED's on your tank if you wish and it wouldn't matter to the corals/ live stock at all? The combo of blue and white s only to balance out the coloration of the tank for our eyes only ?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #1016
Aquarium Advice Addict

If they have enough PAR, yes, and the Taotronics or similar fixtures have plenty of blues. Right now I have one of my sumps lit with just blues and I have montis, anemones, and LPS doing well and growing pretty quickly under them.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #1017
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

When you dive on the real thing and do a lot of photography, as I did, you realize quickly that almost everything but blue light penetrates much deeper than 30'. But some corals, like zoas are in tidal zones and can be under very little or no water for short periods of time. Those get hit by a lot of UV and it would have some effect on protective pigments. And UV penetrates water pretty well.

But growth comes from primarily blue frequencies because that's what they evolved to absorb in the wild. Not that they can't grow under other colors.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #1018
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Ok,..so re.led's all the whites,greens purple bulbs that the fixtures have are purely for eye candy and not primarily useful except for added light,...how about fluorescent bulb., same values??
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #1019
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure. When I had a problem with a rose bubble tip getting itself in a dark cavern and not coming out, as I was watching it slowly bleach, I tried aiming a 5000k lamp at it to stop it from wasting away. It worked perfect. Remember that? Page 51 of my build ....
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #1020
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Photons are photons, some frequencies bounce back (giving the coral it's colors) and some get absorbed. White light has several frequencies, including blue, that the algae can absorb. But as discuss previously, full spectrum LEDs that have a few magenta and even green LEDs can make the coral look brighter. But as to growth, they are meaningless.

Deep violet, or actinic tubes are at about 480nm I think. UV is much shorter than that. The actinic tubes do have a little UV in them. That causes some corals to show off some fluorescence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-688724450.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	178160  

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com