Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #1021
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
When you dive on the real thing and do a lot of photography, as I did, you realize quickly that almost everything but blue light penetrates much deeper than 30'. But some corals, like zoas are in tidal zones and can be under very little or no water for short periods of time. Those get hit by a lot of UV and it would have some effect on protective pigments. And UV penetrates water pretty well.

But growth comes from primarily blue frequencies because that's what they evolved to absorb in the wild. Not that they can't grow under other colors.

blue green yeah whoch is why we use royal blue or actinic supplement lamps. some SPS may benefit from a bit of full spectrum as they are higher up in the reefs and more full spectrum gets to them but to stimulate zooxanthellae algae growth its in the wavelength of 420-480nm

Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #1022
Aquarium Advice Regular

I bought these off eBay. So far they are pretty awesome. No problems
Quad T5 48" Light w/ Timer and LED moonlights

Old 06-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #1023
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpd605x View Post
I bought these off eBay. So far they are pretty awesome. No problems
Quad T5 48" Light w/ Timer and LED moonlights
Watch those oddyseas closely. I've seen their ballasts break down quickly. One I saw caught on fire.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #1024
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick

Watch those oddyseas closely. I've seen their ballasts break down quickly. One I saw caught on fire.
That's very outdated info. It was their early generation MH ballasts that were the fire hazard. Their T5 ballasts are as cheap as they come but aren't dangerous. Now their LED ballasts get scary hot! I don't recommend using their LED fixtures. My brother uses an Odyssea LED system and he had to put a fan on both the fixture and the ballast. They're terrible.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #1025
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post

That's very outdated info. It was their early generation MH ballasts that were the fire hazard. Their T5 ballasts are as cheap as they come but aren't dangerous. Now their LED ballasts get scary hot! I don't recommend using their LED fixtures. My brother uses an Odyssea LED system and he had to put a fan on both the fixture and the ballast. They're terrible.
Were their T5 ballasts updated in the last year? I have scorch marks on a canopy that says otherwise... the ballast never really hot which surprised me when it caught fire.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #1026
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick

Were their T5 ballasts updated in the last year? I have scorch marks on a canopy that says otherwise... the ballast never really hot which surprised me when it caught fire.
Woah! No, not that I'm aware of. The ones that are considered safe from Odyssea are the remote ballast units that come separate from the fixture. The internal ballast fixtures that have the built in timers are relatively new.

Honestly, I don't think any of their T5 fixtures are good enough for reef use outside of soft and LPS corals. The bulbs are just to close (restrike) and they all have lousy reflectors. They work beautifully for planted tanks where having to much light from T5s is the normal problem. I still only recommend their remote (in-line) ballast models.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #1027
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup definitely agree with you about the T5s. I just don't trust their electronics. Having your 4 year old run in and say "Daddy, your tank is on fire"...is not good. Just glad I was home to deal with it.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #1028
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I lost an entire pet store from fire that started with faulty fluorescent ballasts over the fish tanks. I hate those ballasts, didn't like the MH ones much better. LED ballasts are a pain, but much less susceptible to bursting into flames.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #1029
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been following this thread for a while and just bought 3 of the dimmable Taos. I was about to have to spend $350 on new ballasts. I'm going to cut the top of my wooden canopy and let them sit so that nothing's blocked. When you are talking about optics, what does that mean? Can you adjust the LEDs so that there is more spread of the light?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #1030
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopNewsom View Post
I've been following this thread for a while and just bought 3 of the dimmable Taos. I was about to have to spend $350 on new ballasts. I'm going to cut the top of my wooden canopy and let them sit so that nothing's blocked. When you are talking about optics, what does that mean? Can you adjust the LEDs so that there is more spread of the light?
Some fixtures can be ordered with different lenses glued (usually) to the front of the LED. It is common to see lenses that give from 120-60 degrees of spread. In a deep tank you want to narrow the spread to concentrate more light to the sand bed. Opposite is true in a shallow tank.

Start with the LEDs cranked way back and intensify a little each month (yes, month).

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com