Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #1041
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You cannot convert it. You have to guess, or spend about 4 grand for a PUR meter.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #1042
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Isn't there a way to convert it ? I thought I read you can multiply or divide numbers to get close readings

Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #1043
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._lighting.html.... I found this site very informative!!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #1044
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep, but like any lighting article written for this hobby, there's a lot of copy and paste information, without any real data to back it up.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #1045
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Yep, but like any lighting article written for this hobby, there's a lot of copy and paste information, without any real data to back it up.

its true just a hobbiests experience regarding the topic.

truth is what does a human really know about how much usable radiation is used by a coral in the spectrum or a plant or bacteria. we can only study based on experience
Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #1046
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There are some studies done that are very specific in information. They tend to be pretty boring reads as they break down the whole process. But, in general, they support most of what we think of as common wisdom. They also tend to point out that a specific coral, in a specific location, may have different needs than the same coral in a different location. Flow, light quality, etc. all add up and work interactivly.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #1047
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, but the part that I was commenting on was this nonsense-
*In another comparison; one can use one of the many cheap LED panels commonly sold that use 90-120 watts (or more) to light a reef or planted aquarium, OR you can use a LED Fixture that utilizes the best technology emitters & drivers available such as only found "higher end" LED Lights which produce more PUR from less emitters & watts.
This is similar to the above example as lower end emitters & drivers do not pin point the important light wave lengths the best patented emitters can (think about lighting your aquarium with 100's of LED flashlights; would you do this?).

I'd like to know exactly which units this guy was referring to and what were the results of his testing on that particular unit. I'm willing to bet the truth is, nothing was tested.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #1048
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Yes, but the part that I was commenting on was this nonsense-
*In another comparison; one can use one of the many cheap LED panels commonly sold that use 90-120 watts (or more) to light a reef or planted aquarium, OR you can use a LED Fixture that utilizes the best technology emitters & drivers available such as only found "higher end" LED Lights which produce more PUR from less emitters & watts.
This is similar to the above example as lower end emitters & drivers do not pin point the important light wave lengths the best patented emitters can (think about lighting your aquarium with 100's of LED flashlights; would you do this?).

I'd like to know exactly which units this guy was referring to and what were the results of his testing on that particular unit. I'm willing to bet the truth is, nothing was tested.
I agree you you 100% mr.X. ....I look at it this way either spend 150-200 or spend 1000+ to get the same exact results.since owning the evergrow d120...which is the same exact thing inside and out as the Chinese eBay lights,reef breeders or any other no name company that's producing these 120 watt fixtures I have better growth on all my SPS dominant tank than I did with metal halides and T5's.BUT that's just my opinion.....
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #1049
Aquarium Advice Addict

No.....that's a FACT.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #1050
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes, I also agree, but different emitters have different levels of efficiency. There are obviously some emitters out there that won't grow coral. The flashlight analogy is ridiculous as flashlight LEDs are almost all 12VDC, or less. Different animal. Look at the Cree catalogue, they make many different emitters for targeted use. But as I have commented before, the fixture either puts out enough lumens in the right frequencies, or it doesn't. In fact, i bet i could use enough LED flashlights to grow coral, but why would you? It would take hundreds. The testimonials of successful users around the world on this forum is better proof of which fixtures work than anything other source of info. IMO

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

Look under the technology tab and read about "droop." Any the efficiencies new LEDs are exhibiting.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com