Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
Radion's are cool because they can all be computer programmed with effects and all that but to me the gadgets they added don't justify the $800 a unit price. Here in British Columbia thats how much they cost so to light my 55 I'd need $1600 in lights, add tax I'm looking at almost $2000 before I've hung them...lol OOOF

I know people say if you can afford a reef tank you can aford whatever equipment you need but thats not really a reality. When I jumped in I had no idea how much upkeep and coral cost. I've dropped thousands into my tank and quite honestly it amazes me and anyone who comes by my place daily but I simply can't justify another $2000 to upgrade so I can have SPS coral. Now, $400 including shipping is a whole other story!!!!

I'll just have to flick my lights on and off if I want a fake lightning storm for my fish who have no memory of ever really being in an ocean...lol

LOL you are are from BC also? You could come choose my Pharos LED hehe

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWoWee View Post

You can hang them on some L-brackets for shelves. They should have them at home depot or lowes.
Easiest solution is often the best

Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
LOL you are are from BC also? You could come choose my Pharos LED hehe
Well if the ones I bought suck I just might...
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like I said, I think LED's are super-cool. The ability to program things like sunrise and sunset, different intensities throughout the day, and thunderstorms is really cool. And in the long run they will save you energy costs and replacement bulb expenses. There can be no denying that they are more expensive to purchase, though. And we aren't really comparing apples to apples, either, because LED's are going to be far more capable of providing the light needed by SPS corals and anemones than T5's. You definitely get what you pay for in this hobby.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The sunrise, sunset, cloud cover, and lightening storm effects are the things I would never use anyway. I think it's total nonsense to waste money on that stuff. If that's what makes those other fixtures so expensive, I don't see how they are "the best".
I'm interested in a good looking tank, at a good price. This is a reality.
Btw, MBliss, one of these cheapo Chinese units will make your tank look 100% better than 2 T5 lamps.
And to anyone who was questioning whether they could sit one of these Taotronics units on glass, you can. The amount of heat that comes off of them is less than a T5 fixture. Barely warm to the touch.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Update on ReefBreeders. I called the number on the website today and it went to voicemail. Just after I left a message, I got a text from Logan, who I'm guessing is the owner. He said they won't ship until this coming Monday. I asked him why it takes 11 days for him to ship and he told me "They were held back. The cases were arriving later than planned. The time estimate is 1-2 weeks for those units ATM". Then he said "for previous orders, all of the value fixtures ship Monday".
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
The sunrise, sunset, cloud cover, and lightening storm effects are the things I would never use anyway. I think it's total nonsense to waste money on that stuff. If that's what makes those other fixtures so expensive, I don't see how they are "the best".
I'm interested in a good looking tank, at a good price. This is a reality.
Btw, MBliss, one of these cheapo Chinese units will make your tank look 100% better than 2 T5 lamps.
And to anyone who was questioning whether they could sit one of these Taotronics units on glass, you can. The amount of heat that comes off of them is less than a T5 fixture. Barely warm to the touch.

that is my whole point, You can't really use those fixture that has gextra gimmick to compare to a plain T5 fixture. If you did compare them then have to go with the same type of fixture, where I compared in 1 year of usage, you are basically paying the same amount before even going into the electric bill saving.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nowadays, LEDs are priced not much more than T5s (chinese brand). I go through craigslist and forums looking for used ones. I own 4 chinese 120 watt panels and never paid more than $100 for one. Thats cheaper than most 4 bulb t5 fixtures of equivalent output.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Everyone must have awesome reef tanks in China. Just sayin...
Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
Everyone must have awesome reef tanks in China. Just sayin...

^ LoLLL

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com