Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #1251
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Negative. They do nothing for actual coloration of the coral. Yes, the reds stay red.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #1252
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Side by side, the full spectrum looks a little warmer. But my full spectrum fixture uses Crees and not many of them compared to the Chinese fixture. This can cause rainbowing in the shadows.

This is iPhone under Chinese LEDs, not bad?

Second one is under full spectrum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3250135485.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	192424   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3803303425.jpg
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	192425  

Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #1253
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have both multicolored units and straight blue and white. Neither makes corals color up better. They are both equal in that respect. They grow and color at exactly the same pace. When I shine a red light into the tank, it washes out my reds, not colors them up. Blue light is what brings out the colors IME.
This topic is brought up on this thread about every 5 pages or so since the beginning...lol.
It's all a matter of what you like to look at. my advice is to check them both out side by side if possible.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #1254
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I have both multicolored units and straight blue and white. Neither makes corals color up better. They are both equal in that respect. They grow and color at exactly the same pace. When I shine a red light into the tank, it washes out my reds, not colors them up. Blue light is what brings out the colors IME.
This topic is brought up on this thread about every 5 pages or so since the beginning...lol.
It's all a matter of what you like to look at.
That's exactly right. I personally don't like all the blue. When diving I carried lots of lights to color the coral up. This bunch of tunicates were almost invisible against the reef at 75' until I hit them with the full spectrum flash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2019104602.jpg
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	192428  
Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #1255
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Side by side, the full spectrum looks a little warmer. But my full spectrum fixture uses Crees and not many of them compared to the Chinese fixture. This can cause rainbowing in the shadows.

This is iPhone under Chinese LEDs, not bad?

Second one is under full spectrum.
Great pics, I like the full spectrum look to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-420137980.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	192477  
Old 08-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #1256
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You better make sure you like the full spectrum color before you buy them. I'm definitely not a fan of the reds and violets being in a fixture.
His description was I have 3 120w full spectrum led lamps. $300. I finally get in touch with him because he put the wrong number on the page Md I was like is it for All 3. He's like 300 each. I was like I can get 2 Chinese ones for 3. His we're marine depot. He said he works for a company that uses them and cams warrantee them if anything breaks on them. Here is the ad. http://longisland.craigslist.org/for/3972839975.html
Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #1257
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

sue me for not reading all 126 pages to check for this, but in regards to the Tao units, wouldn't it be possible to open them up and replace the drivers with ones that would allow for controller use? I mean it couldn't be that hard and the end product would be a controller-enabled tao unit.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #1258
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes, you could do that but the driver would probably be $100. Most Chinese 120 watt fixtures use 3 smaller drivers.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #1259
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
That's exactly right. I personally don't like all the blue. When diving I carried lots of lights to color the coral up. This bunch of tunicates were almost invisible against the reef at 75' until I hit them with the full spectrum flash.
I have to agree a little bit more with you Greg. After all the full spectrum is where you can see all the colors in your tank. However, I do have actinic or blue as well which is on continuously for 8 hours while my white is on at noon time until I get home from work where I can see the natural colors of my reef. I believe fish would also love to see exactly what they eat. Someone had said that as long as the corals get the needed PAR it doesn't matter what color of light there is but then it is in conflict when someone says the color does matters.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #1260
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I have to agree a little bit more with you Greg. After all the full spectrum is where you can see all the colors in your tank. However, I do have actinic or blue as well which is on continuously for 8 hours while my white is on at noon time until I get home from work where I can see the natural colors of my reef. I believe fish would also love to see exactly what they eat. Someone had said that as long as the corals get the needed PAR it doesn't matter what color of light there is but then it is in conflict when someone says the color does matters.
I have proof that the extra colors don't matter. Look at my photobucket folder or build thread. Meanwhile, if you like the reds and violets and greens in your fixture, by all means, go get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnypro View Post
His description was I have 3 120w full spectrum led lamps. $300. I finally get in touch with him because he put the wrong number on the page Md I was like is it for All 3. He's like 300 each. I was like I can get 2 Chinese ones for 3. His we're marine depot. He said he works for a company that uses them and cams warrantee them if anything breaks on them. Here is the ad. Fish tank Led lights
those are the exact same thing as what we've all been talking about here. Those can be purchased for under 200 a piece brand new, and they come with U.S. warranties. This guy is either trying to turn a profit, or got rooked from jump. Either way, I would not get them.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com