Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
Everyone must have awesome reef tanks in China. Just sayin...

Well when you can buy a 150g glass tank with cabinet and canopy for $120USD, I am sure they can spend more money on coral and other stuff that are not man made. I went to their so-call LFS well can't really call it a store cuz the market was made with over 500 fish tore in it and it was the size of 3 football field. Their glass tank are so cheap that I almost want to ship one back to Cnada, the only problem is that the shipping would have lots issue including that using wood material to secure the tank is expensive as those board all have to go thru treatment to ensure no infestation of pine beatles etc

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #122
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey X, what are these Chinese LED units called? If they are up to snuff quality-wise, I may want to look into it. I have never been one to trust any off-brand electronics. But of you have owned them without problems, maybe I would reconsider in this case.

55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about these for a 48'' tank?
EVO 48" LED Aquarium Light Coral Reef Saltwater 32X 3W 3 Watts Lunar 120 Cm | eBay
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

To me they look like a marine land version. I'm waiting to see what x thinks about the reef breeder and the hong kong ones seem similar to reef breeders.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking about picking these up if Mr. X things they're okay - he knows his stuff:
EVO 48" LED Aquarium Light Coral Reef Saltwater 32X 3W 3 Watts Lunar 120 Cm | eBay
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post
I'm thinking about picking these up if Mr. X things they're okay - he knows his stuff:
I dont think those are reef strong. 96 watts total on a 48 would probably be ok for soft coral or fowlr.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the input - hopefully I can find a similar setup with more watts. What would the ideal wattage be 120?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
The sunrise, sunset, cloud cover, and lightening storm effects are the things I would never use anyway. I think it's total nonsense to waste money on that stuff. If that's what makes those other fixtures so expensive, I don't see how they are "the best".
I'm interested in a good looking tank, at a good price. This is a reality.
Btw, MBliss, one of these cheapo Chinese units will make your tank look 100% better than 2 T5 lamps.
And to anyone who was questioning whether they could sit one of these Taotronics units on glass, you can. The amount of heat that comes off of them is less than a T5 fixture. Barely warm to the touch.
thanks mr X. your opinion is certainly valued. My concern is that they recommend hanging them about 10" above. If I do buy these fixtures for a glass canopy should I get the standard, 60 degree optics, or 90 degree optics? Does it matter?

PS I have a standard 75 gallon.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP
They run very hot. You have to put a fan on both the fixture and the ballast. I'd skip that fixture.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just ordered an Ecoxotic 36" stunner strip to add to my existing 36" Coralife 2-bulb T5 HO fixture. I'm hoping that the extra light will be enough to start to keep a few SPS corals, and to make my LPS corals even happier (already growing and spreading really well). I'm going to start a thread with pics as soon as the new lights arrive to document the installation and difference it makes in the tank.

55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com