Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #1571
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm so glad i bought one of the full spectrum LED and i can see the changes in my tank creatures in less than 2 weeks!!!!!

1) my GBTA and 2 RBTA (who never had bubbles on their tentacles) are slowly bubbling up (i know people have different theory about why some bubbles and some don't but as far as my tank goes, the only changed was the quad T5HO to this LED)

2) colors are off the chart and i'm still acclimating my corals and nems. can't wait till i go 100% blue and 75% white.

3) definitely less evaporation->less ATO->salt lasting longer

Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #1572
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a question.. It's probably a simple answer... What's the difference between led and mh when it comes to running them . My thought is. Why do you accent blue with mh.. And with led. You accent white? 50% white to 100% blue.. If I turn of my blues. The tank is very dimly lit.. Just wondering..

Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #1573
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's mainly the blue that promotes photosynthesis in the corals as that is the spectrum that they are typically exposed to at depth in the ocean, the whites are mostly for us as that's what our eyes are used to, however in a closed environment the whites will still have an effect on the corals, so going with the higher blue to white ratio is to give the corals more of the spectrum that they need to grow and flourish while adding in enough white to make the overall appearance pleasing to our eyes but not so much that the total amount of light is overwhelming to the zooxanthellae in the corals or promotes too much algae growth, at least this is my current understanding
Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #1574
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Understandable.. Than what makes mh most popular, prior to led? Does the mh cover just as much blue spectrum as the LEDs? I've only ever owned LEDs on my tank. Never had mh. I love the look of it. Just sometimes seems too blue. I run 50 % white 85-100 blue. Lights are 12" off water surface
Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #1575
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never used MH lights and with LEDs being easily available and proven effective I see no current attraction to them, as far as why they were the prevailing tech in the past, they got the job done better than anything else available at that time
Old 03-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #1576
Aquarium Advice Addict

By comparing them MH requires much more power than LED to attain the same amount of PUR. MH is less efficient and radiates light at 360 deg while LED is unidirectional and can be zoomed in with low angle lenses to penetrate deeper. MH is full spectrum so it does waste a lot of light energy while LED uses only the right frequency or color (blue) with some whites to please our eyes. For those with MH and add blue LEDs, I believe they use the LEDs for moonlight. Otherwise, it is just aesthetic to have more blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #1577
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
I have a question.. It's probably a simple answer... What's the difference between led and mh when it comes to running them . My thought is. Why do you accent blue with mh.. And with led. You accent white? 50% white to 100% blue.. If I turn of my blues. The tank is very dimly lit.. Just wondering..
The metal halides that don't really need blue supplement are the ones with a color temp upwards of 20k. These far bluer lamps have a lot less PAR than the lower K, so what people do is use a lamp that is 10-14k, which give much higher PAR, and then accent with blue lamps to make the tank more pleasing to the eye. Otherwise the tank and corals are going to look bright, but dull.
LEDs, being much more efficient, can deliver an amazing amount of PAR with blue lamps, but you don't want the tank looking solid blue, or it won't be aesthetically pleasing either, so we have to throw in some white to offset it, and give a more natural look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
By comparing them MH requires much more power than LED to attain the same amount of PUR. MH is less efficient and radiates light at 360 deg while LED is unidirectional and can be zoomed in with low angle lenses to penetrate deeper. MH is full spectrum so it does waste a lot of light energy while LED uses only the right frequency or color (blue) with some whites to please our eyes. For those with MH and add blue LEDs, I believe they use the LEDs for moonlight. Otherwise, it is just aesthetic to have more blues.
Well said. And don't forget the totally undesirable by product of halides- heat. So much heat that touching a warmed up lamp can burn the skin right off your hand.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #1578
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have turned my LED whites down and have noticed a huge difference in coloration on my sps' don't look near as bright as I want.. But corals love it!
Old 08-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #1579
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does anyone know if Tao Tronics makes a nano led light fixture like Reef Breeders nano light fixture.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #1580
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update, one year gone, all 5 fixture runs perfectly fine, some rust start to develop on some of the screw heads but the powder coated buddy rust free. Opened up one of them yesterday to clean the fans and check how is everything inside, so far looks great, no burn marks, melted parts or rust/corrosion inside

My corals love it, RRBT love it.
Running the whites on the timer / 5min at 50%, 5min at 1-2%/ and running all channel ~50% probably save me some $$ on electricity bill to compare to the 400w MH or the 8bulb TEK.

This is a iPhone photo so color accuracy out the question, some of the spectrum not visible for the human eye but iP5 go crazy about it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407952882.807568.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	246625

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com