Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would the 32" 200watt Controllable Fixture from reef breeders be enough for a 100 gallon tank with 90 degree optics? it is a 4' tank with 25" depth

I am thinking for the money it sounds good.

I think you'll have some serious shadows. You don't even need optics if those are the same potency LED that's used in the value fixture.

Maitank that's what I want for my 92 corner tank !
Im wanting some pics of the light and more info !!

I would think so and would the value fixtures be better on a 92 corner tank or the 32 in on it ?

At 48" across, I would think you would need 2 of those value fixtures. The 32 without optics might be a better option.

Always account for the center braces blocking light, unless you DIY clear center brace. Its overlooked very often.

Looks like the 32" with no optics at 120 degree will work well according to Logan. How high does everyone hang them or do they put it right on the glass?

About 4 + in but I recommend about 6 to 10

Also I don't have a brace at all

So, I still didn't add the optics, because I want to see if the corals under this fixture do anything different with the colored LEDs the way they are. Nothing thus far. How long do you think I should wait? A month enough?
Everything seems to be growing and coloring up at the same pace, under the straight blue/whites, and under the colored unit with UV light.
BTW, I don't know if I posted this in this thread or not but-
Ultraviolet Light, Marine Aquariums and Coral Reef Aquarium Tank, Stand, Canopy, and Aquarium Filter System

So, I still didn't add the optics, because I want to see if the corals under this fixture do anything different with the colored LEDs the way they are. Nothing thus far. How long do you think I should wait? A month enough?
Everything seems to be growing and coloring up at the same pace, under the straight blue/whites, and under the colored unit with UV light.
BTW, I don't know if I posted this in this thread or not but-
Ultraviolet Light, Marine Aquariums and Coral Reef Aquarium Tank, Stand, Canopy, and Aquarium Filter System

Mr X have you added the two blue LEDs? If not are the reds still dominant in color? In your opinion which light is more appealing to the eye? Since growth is the same. Thanks

Doug, I would say 2 months minimum to rate the sps growth. That way you have a longer term comparison.

In terms of if blue or red is more appealing to the eye, red is awful to look at. I am extremely happy now that I have adjusted my radions to remove the red tint from my sunrise. The red gives it the feel of compact lighting, just worse.

just a FYI, if you didn't change the value fixture's purple/violet LED, they are not UV. They are violet 420nm. It is only consider UV once it reaches 400nm. Also red has nothing to do with growth as 99% of the red light get filtered out by sea water few meters deep so corals don't use red spectrum for their growth.(Same as green) The only reason why UV was consider is that it change the pigmentation of the coral to be for vibrant however, I am not sure if violet does the same thing as most ppl conside 400 to 500nm are all part of "blue" just the more closer to 400 the more "purpleish" look it has

yup, you can say that. I had yet to see any true "UV" LED on fixture yet, most of them are either "purple" and "Violet". Personally instead of add the red/green etc LED, I rather go with WW, NW and CW mix, as for blue, mainly royal blue. cuz the WW has enough red and green spectrum in it to do watever the red and green provides and it will look more natrual as the color are blend in the white light rather than having patches of red and green and try to blend it that way.

What would you recommend to hang over the reef, reef breeders or taotronics? That my question and probably many others who never had LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom