Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Just put this in your search line on ebay- dimmable led aquarium light
Now they are even making them with reds and greens. Those I haven't seen in person, but I have the blue and white only and I like the way they look, and grow coral.
Answers my question! Perfect! Appreciate it! Ok, reds & greens do what for coral? Sorry if that's a dumb question!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
There is some argument about some of the LED units out there not being full spectrum. Some say they lack the red and green spectrum necessary to grow coral. I haven't found this to be true as of yet. As stated, I use the first generation Taotronics fixtures which aren't dimmable, over my 300 gallon. I can grow acropora on the sand bed with them. I did purchase this-
TaoTronics TT AL09 Dimmable Coral Reef Tank Light LED Aquarium Light 120W 55 3W | eBay
for my frag tank, which I like a bit better since you can adjust the blues and whites to your liking, but this wasn't available when I was lighting my reef.
Neither of these have reds and blues but it does not seem to matter.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
There is some argument about some of the LED units out there not being full spectrum. Some say they lack the red and green spectrum necessary to grow coral. I haven't found this to be true as of yet. As stated, I use the first generation Taotronics fixtures which aren't dimmable, over my 300 gallon. I can grow acropora on the sand bed with them. I did purchase this-
TaoTronics TT AL09 Dimmable Coral Reef Tank Light LED Aquarium Light 120W 55 3W | eBay
for my frag tank, which I like a bit better since you can adjust the blues and whites to your liking, but this wasn't available when I was lighting my reef.
Neither of these have reds and blues but it does not seem to matter.
I don't need fancy colors lol I just want enough light to keep my nems & future corals happy ;D thank you all so much for helping me out! What a relief it is knowing there is a wallet friendly light out there! I was beginning to think there wasn't anything at a decent price haha! Now I will be able to get the other tank running and get my coral eating Rabbitfish out of the reef tank
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
oops...I meant that they don't have reds and GREENS.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
oops...I meant that they don't have reds and GREENS.
I knew what ya meant

Sooo I'm pretty sure im definitely gonna go with the Taotronics. If I do I should get 2 of the dimmable 120w? Or 2 212w? Looks like the 212 is not dimmable which is probably a nice option since I will probably have to light acclimate everything when they come... Right? Also I was looking at this controller http://www.marinedepot.com/Digital_A...TEMOMI-vi.html can I use that with these lights? I googled timers for lights and that came up.... Looks pretty cool if I can use it!

I'm worried if I skimp on lights ill pay for it next year... Not knockin Chinese products but the AI Sols have a lifespan of 10 years & since this is Kinda a once in a lifetime deal that I will be able to spend this kind of money on lights I just wanna get something that will last me awhile! How long have you guys been running your lights? Have you had any problems???
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Wow i want to jump on this too. I see a bunch of adds, some from america, that dont say taotronics. Are they just as good?
Old 01-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
Wow i want to jump on this too. I see a bunch of adds, some from america, that dont say taotronics. Are they just as good?
I really don't know! I'm really new to the reef

The taotronics are affordable, look nice, don't have things like timers, but there are ways around that. I guess I'm just worried that if something failed there wouldn't be any customer service to deal with... Or am I wrong for assuming that? I've only really seen them on eBay. I can't seem to find a clear answer on they're lifespan....
Old 01-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Checkout the kessil tuna blue 350w. Im going to use 2 of them to light my 90g reef with my tax money!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The AI SOL is nice, my buddy has the Vega on his tank and really likes it. It sucks that their expensive but good quality I hear. Innovative Marine also has fixtures but they are only really for soft corals in that rice range for 2 fixtures.

I have t-5ho and am happy with them but wish I got a 6bulb if not LED's
Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

what are 90 degree optics? I can get them with or without, i feel as though I should but honestly i have no idea what they are...lol

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com