Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mr_X said:
Maybe, but for roughly 150 bucks, you can turn it down half way if you need to. Cheaper than the Panorama.

Good point. I can't think of a real drawback to running one of these lights at 20-50% over a small tank. I'd be curious to know if the lower setting would increase the life of the fixture or make it use less energy overall.

I'm going to setup another small reef soon. As long as these units are quiet, can be used in a hood, and can be dimmed down they'll be my choice. I'm just not sure how well they work inside the hood of a small tank.

It would probably do both, except for the fans. The fans are on whether it's all the way down, or all the way up.

Just put this in your search line on ebay- dimmable led aquarium light
Now they are even making them with reds and greens. Those I haven't seen in person, but I have the blue and white only and I like the way they look, and grow coral.

There are some incredibly good options there. I'm very tempted to get the 174 LED adjustable light. Only $70.00.

Go back a few pages, x posted some great pics of different corals as well.

There are some incredibly good options there. I'm very tempted to get the 174 LED adjustable light. Only $70.00.
I have a feeling you are making a mistake with that one. You might want to post a link to it before you pull the trigger. nothing worth while came up in my search that was 70 bucks.

I have a feeling you are making a mistake with that one. You might want to post a link to it before you pull the trigger. nothing worth while came up in my search that was 70 bucks.

Here's another for twice the price:

SkyLED 48" Aquarium Light - 462 LEDs

It's true, what I was told about the 10 gallon. It's only been a week and I'm ready to go for bigger. I'm still waiting for things to get complicated though and really working on developing some patience. If I do get a set of lights like this it will be for my 55 Fresh. :dance:

My 10 gallon is only about a week old and my plan is to make it a reef tank. I've currently got live rock, two damsels, and 6 Hermits. I have the Marineland hood with the LED's. When I'm ready to put in corals will this light be enough or will I need to upgrade the lighting. I know I can buy a different hood and put in some fluorescents. Are those my only options for a 10 gallon? Would you or Could you recommend something else?

:thanks:

That hood isn't going to support photosynthetic creatures. You are going to need something more potent. I'm not sure what to suggest for a tank that size but maybe AQ might have a suggestion.

Get a 150 kessel !!

I would have to do a serious hood mod or eliminate it all together. Great reviews though. This will take som consideration. Do most people run their Reef tanks hoodless so they can put up the brighter lighting systems?

Yes. I don't think that pendant is ideal for your tank though. It would have to be nearly 2 feet up off of the tank to reach the ends. I imagine something you can place on the tank or at least something with multiple diodes along the span of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom