Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. X, I 've been looking around and found this light.
Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL01 White Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 25:30; Two-Year Warranty): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Can you give me your thoughts please. I believe it fits the criteria and seems like a good price. I like this light cause I think it will work well when I move up to a larger tank. Thanks in advance. :cool:
I would much rather have the dimmable model with the 3 watt LEDs. Also, I prefer more blues than whites. I would choose the opposite ratio. This way you won't cook everything in a small tank, and won't have to hang it 4 feet away!

I would much rather have the dimmable model with the 3 watt LEDs. Also, I prefer more blues than whites. I would choose the opposite ratio. This way you won't cook everything in a small tank, and won't have to hang it 4 feet away!

I noticed there were several lighting scenarios available with this light. Did you notice that as well? I only ordered today and can upgrade but time is of the essence. :thanks:

A bleaching event can happen from a lot of things. You need to figure out if you have enough light going into your tank to cause this. I can't tell you exactly how much you should turn the knobs in order to prevent bleaching. Why? Are you seeing your corals fading?

Pisces, Yes, I've had the opportunity to operate a few different variations over my own system. The more white than blue will give you a 10k or so look. I like more blue than that.

My lights are the dimmable ones i have it set 50% of blue and maybe 25% of the whites.. I bought this sps frag about two week the tips are starting to turn white

Here is the pic

image-1217796114.jpg

Although im not too sure if its caused by lights or some other things

Oh my 6500k flood light is just for the macros in the refugium. Not corals. I wouldn't recommend it for corals.

There is another thread on this site about those flood lights and how people are using them over their tanks with photosynthetic creatures in them. I asked over and over for progression shots and no one was able or willing to show them.
For the correct spectrum they were just too expensive for me to purchase and check PAR numbers.

What about this light fixture ($162 shipped) for a small 20 gallon LPS and soft coral reef. I like how the specialty LEDs have their own 3rd independent dimmer and plug. These guys also sell a normal blue/white only fixture. I could always swap out the red, green or UVs for blues if I don't like them or just turn them way down.

I wanted something like the TaoTronics but I certainly wouldn't need a 120w fixture for a 20 gallon with no SPSs. Any opinions?

What about this light fixture ($162 shipped) for a small 20 gallon LPS and soft coral reef. I like how the specialty LEDs have their own 3rd independent dimmer and plug. These guys also sell a normal blue/white only fixture. I could always swap out the red, green or UVs for blues if I don't like them or just turn them way down.

I wanted something like the TaoTronics but I certainly wouldn't need a 120w fixture for a 20 gallon with no SPSs. Any opinions?

Are you growing corals? If you like the TaoTronics they make one with a dimmer built in. I certainly know far less than many here, but why not get something that can do it all that way you can adjust it the way you need it and not have to order multiple lights when you want to add something new to the reef. Also, as I've done, order something that will work as you expand into a larger or different tank. I followed Mr. X's advice and although he thought the light I purchased to be a bit large he agreed it was a good choice because of my criteria and it's own capabilities. Also, I'm putting this on/ above my 10g Nano Reef.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Aquarium Coral Reef LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies

Pisces3473 said:
Are you growing corals? If you like the TaoTronics they make one with a dimmer built in. I certainly know far less than many here, but why not get something that can do it all that way you can adjust it the way you need it and not have to order multiple lights when you want to add something new to the reef. Also, as I've done, order something that will work as you expand into a larger or different tank. I followed Mr. X's advice and although he thought the light I purchased to be a bit large he agreed it was a good choice because of my criteria and it's own capabilities. Also, I'm putting this on/ above my 10g Nano Reef.

Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Aquarium Coral Reef LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies

That's the one I was first considering but it's way stronger than I need for a 20 gallon. This one actually has 3 dimmers! I've done large reefs but because of my health I will never be upgrading to a larger tank (I can only deal with small amounts of water and nearly no lifting). I've done everything from 10-600 gallon tanks. My last reef was a 30 and used a 150w HQI MH and 2 VHOs.

You're 100% right to mention upgrading seeing how most people love having bigger and bigger tanks. That just isn't an option for me. Hell, I may soon need a third major spine surgery so even this 20 may soon be more than I can handle.

Again, this is just for a soft and SPS coral tank. I thought about a par38 or two, the TaoTronics and the Reef Breeders fixtures but when I found this one it seemed like it had the versatility of the TaoTronics (separate dimmers and plugs for timers) without being so wildly overpowered for this small of a tank.

I'm not sure that I understand your point about needing a different or multiple lights if I would decide to add something different to the reef. I started propagating and selling corals in the 90s so I truly do know what kinds of corals I want to keep (undemanding moderate light corals). There's just so many new lighting options out these days. I'll definitely need some guidance from the experts here.

If i was debating on getting these Taotronics for my 90 gallon reef, what model should i be looking for and how many? My tank is 48" long. I currently have metal halides and T5's - 4 blue 4 white.
I have a huge clam, anemone, devil hands, kenya trees, polyps, mushrooms, leather corals.
Really want to get something all in one and get rid of the excess heat that these produce.
Thanks

If i was debating on getting these Taotronics for my 90 gallon reef, what model should i be looking for and how many? My tank is 48" long. I currently have metal halides and T5's - 4 blue 4 white.
I have a huge clam, anemone, devil hands, kenya trees, polyps, mushrooms, leather corals.
Really want to get something all in one and get rid of the excess heat that these produce.
Thanks

Wow that is a lot of light! I just made a thread showing my LEDs mounted over my 90. Theyre not taotronics but theyre pretty much the same thing.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/chinese-led-mounting-248966.html

I'm not sure that I understand your point about needing a different or multiple lights if I would decide to add something different to the reef. I started propagating and selling corals in the 90s so I truly do know what kinds of corals I want to keep (undemanding moderate light corals). There's just so many new lighting options out these days. I'll definitely need some guidance from the experts here.

I was just reiterating my thoughts about buying something once vs. this that and the other, when you made any type of change or addition. Sounds like you've got a ton more experience at this than I do. Technology changes but the basics are called the basics for a reason. I play golf too... :)

Thanks

My guess is, just like Lee, you'd need two fixtures. His aren't dimmable and the ones I ordered are. Mine haven't arrived yet however I've seen somebody with a set up of mine similar to Lee's as well, and I believe he's got at least a 90 if not a 125g. I got this one cause I plan to use on a larger tank at some point, also the reduction in heating with this light is a nice bonus. My plan with installation is to hang it and leave the top open. I like this better cause I can hear the water. What's going to kill me is I'm getting the light but am leaving town at the end of March. I still haven't decided if I gonna use the light right away or wait till after I return from vacation.

The Taotronics/ReefBreeders are cheap enough that you can buy one for a small tank and simply turn it way down. If you ever decide to get out of the hobby you have a light that even a guy with a deep tank can use. I would use one of these over a small tank.
--And BTW, again, all of the fixtures linked thus far do not have UV LEDs in them. They call them that, but they are actually just violet in color. They are not true ultraviolet lights.

I think you've said that you prefer having the basic blue and white combo to having the violet red and green. I can't really say, having never seen these colors in person. The main reason I was interested in this unit was because 60 watts of LEDs sounds reasonable for a 20 and all the special colors are on their own third plug and dimmer. I may get the 120w but knowing all I will ever do is a 20, I would rather not be concerned with future upgrades or selling the fixture to someone with a larger tank. My only consideration is getting a suitable light for this system and nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom