Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mr_X said:
Failed? So, they don't last?

I've had 4 floodlights going, but only since around October and November of 2012, and all of them are doing fine. I have heard of the drivers going out from a couple people. I may get an upgraded driver or two just in case.

After pricing them out it was cheaper to get the basic daylight floodlight and separate chips. That way I could also have the original chip as a reference to observe the visual difference between the original and the new emitters (using 2 units side by side against a white board). I know it's crude but without a par meter that was the best I could manage.

Look at this on eBay: Finnex FugeRay LED Aquarium Light - 10 12 Inch 7000k +moonlights Refugium Nano[10 Inches] http://bit.ly/U5uG02

What do you guys think of these? I'm thinking for the amount of room I have I may have to go with something much smaller in size vs the floodlights or home depot spots.

all of my 50w drivers didn't last longer than a Month.

I think most of the guys were getting the 20w and 10w ones.

I bought scooter chargers off eBay that were 36v 1.5 amp( same required voltage and frequency of the 50w led chip). They were $9 each and work perfect.

Doug what wattage is the swirly bulb?
23 watts I think.

Look at this on eBay: Finnex FugeRay LED Aquarium Light - 10 12 Inch 7000k +moonlights Refugium Nano[10 Inches] http://bit.ly/U5uG02

What do you guys think of these? I'm thinking for the amount of room I have I may have to go with something much smaller in size vs the floodlights or home depot spots.
4 watts? I don't think that's going to work very well.

You are welcome. I looked for a bulb that had a kelvin rating of about 5000-6500. If you look hard enough at home depot or lowes, you can find them. The wattage all depends on the size of the area you are lighting.

I will look at them today I am currently using the shop clip on light fixture with one of the flood lights on it 6500k but my cheato is not growing at all but it is not dieing either. Could just be time for a new bulb. Sump/refuge is a 75 gallon tank. Don't recall the exact measurements for the refuge section.

Jmkb02 said:

I put a 16" FugeRay over a 5.5 gallon planted tank after a 10w floodlight burned them. They're actually wonderful for growing freshwater plants in a shallow tank but they're no match for a floodlight. The 10 watt models are so small. I can't imagine how a refugium that can get a pump in and out couldn't fit one but if it can't you can try the FugeRay or the Ray 2. Lots of planted tank owners use them to grow tons of plants.

Lyon could do 2 of the the not controllable or the 32 in one they make 48 inch optics for it so it can reach all 48 inches

I saw their 32" fixture reaches 48", anyone have a pic of this?

Are they using the 120 instead of the 90 optics to do this?

I'd want 90 optics for a 25" tall tank

I ordered them Friday and will get them sometime next week ill post some pics for sure !!!

Back
Top Bottom