Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
what are 90 degree optics? I can get them with or without, i feel as though I should but honestly i have no idea what they are...lol
The optics degree dictates how focused the diodes light is emitted. 90 will focus it a lot allowing for stronger light on the sandbed.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reef breeders have a dimmable model for $180. With the reds and greens. Read some good reviews on them similar to taotronics for me it's between these two.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post

The optics degree dictates how focused the diodes light is emitted. 90 will focus it a lot allowing for stronger light on the sandbed.
While your here

2 dimmable 120w or two 212w???

Help! And can I use that controller I posted earlier? Googled timers and found controllers, they look rad
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Wow i want to jump on this too. I see a bunch of adds, some from america, that dont say taotronics. Are they just as good?
I was your situation too not long ago and these taotronic lights are awesome! They are affordable than any lights in the market and they do the job. I have the (no name) taotronics led dimmable fixture and theyre great! Dimmable is better because when you change your lights from the old one, you can adjust the intensity of these dimmable fixture to acclimate your corals.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daney90 View Post
I was your situation too not long ago and these taotronic lights are awesome! They are affordable than any lights in the market and they do the job. I have the (no name) taotronics led dimmable fixture and theyre great! Dimmable is better because when you change your lights from the old one, you can adjust the intensity of these dimmable fixture to acclimate your corals.
Ive been looking into these for a long time now, so they WILL grow sps and all corals?

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have Kessil LED in Ocean Blue on my 55reef, only needed one cuz it's a corner tank. They're nice, install easily with the crane neck thing. Color is beautiful and corals doin well, even the nem loves it. They're about $300 each with the crane neck holder. You'd probably need at least 2 over a 75g, and if thats not bright enough, you could add a 3rd down the road.
That being said, I've heard really good things about the taotronics LEDs and I'm thinking I'm going to try those for my 125g that I'm planning on this year.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

sorry to hijack your thread but I just took the plunge and ordered 2 120w multi color dimmable units for my 39 inch tank. Question, I'm going to assume these are way more light than my 4 bulbT5 unit so when I get them going what percentage of the light should I dim it to? 50% to start and gradually turn it up?

This thread was awesome, I was just looking at radion led's at my lfs and 2 units was going to cost me over $1650 bucks before tax. I know they do storms and fade on during the day but I couldn't afford it, this seems like the next best thing!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
sorry to hijack your thread but I just took the plunge and ordered 2 120w multi color dimmable units for my 39 inch tank. Question, I'm going to assume these are way more light than my 4 bulbT5 unit so when I get them going what percentage of the light should I dim it to? 50% to start and gradually turn it up?

This thread was awesome, I was just looking at radion led's at my lfs and 2 units was going to cost me over $1650 bucks before tax. I know they do storms and fade on during the day but I couldn't afford it, this seems like the next best thing!!!
I would start at like 20% and work your way up. Maybe even 10% to acclimate. I think your gonna be surprised at the penetration power of the light compared to fluorescents.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemdogg View Post
Checkout the kessil tuna blue 350w. Im going to use 2 of them to light my 90g reef with my tax money!
Yes Kessil. If your looking for quality and performance at a reasonable price look no further than kessil. I currently run the A350 over my 29g reef. No complaints, and ive been through countless lights in my years.

The chinese fixture have some great reviews but they also have bad ones the biggest thing i hear about them besides the many people questioning their spectral output is that they run hot and and the fans are also noisy.

Just dont forget that taotronics manufacturer cuts a number of corners to have such a low priced product. Im assuming there is a very logical reason why large brand name companies have refused to jump on the cheap LED bandwagon and slap their logo on a cheap fixture.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Run hot? That's not true. I don't hear the fans running any louder than the T5 fixtures I used to use.
The corners cut are the obvious- not as controllable as the others, not as much advertising, not as many options..
Many are slapping their names on these fixtures. Reefbreeders being one of them.
I believe these are not "cheap", but priced reasonably. The others are price gouging IMO. Offering unnecessary options to make their fixtures sound better than the next guy.
I have 5 of these. 4 non-dimmable, first generation units, and 1 dimmable unit. All are working well and making my tank look great, with very little heat and half the wattage I was using prior.
This is not rocket science. Reef lighting needs to:
1-be powerful enough to keep your photosynthetic creatures
2- produce a light that's pleasing to the eye

These fixtures do both of these things

LED lighting needs to be efficient per watt.
These fixtures also accomplish this.

Jessica, you only need the 120 watt ones.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com