Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Run hot? That's not true. I don't hear the fans running any louder than the T5 fixtures I used to use.
Compared to a T5 that may be true but not compared to a quality LED. And as for the heat yes, there is a reason this fixture runs 3 computer fans, because it runs hot. The manufacturer even states they run each 3w diode at 2 watts to match the cooling system while also extending lifespan.

So why 3 cooling fans when every brand name led only requires for the most part only heatsinks.

Read here
http://aquariumopinions.wordpress.co...light-reviews/

My point being they run hot and loud for LED's and also use more energy with less useful energy output.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Run hot? That's not true. I don't hear the fans running any louder than the T5 fixtures I used to use.
The corners cut are the obvious- not as controllable as the others, not as much advertising, not as many options..
Many are slapping their names on these fixtures. Reefbreeders being one of them.
I believe these are not "cheap", but priced reasonably. The others are price gouging IMO. Offering unnecessary options to make their fixtures sound better than the next guy.
I have 5 of these. 4 non-dimmable, first generation units, and 1 dimmable unit. All are working well and making my tank look great, with very little heat and half the wattage I was using prior.
This is not rocket science. Reef lighting needs to:
1-be powerful enough to keep your photosynthetic creatures
2- produce a light that's pleasing to the eye

These fixtures do both of these things

LED lighting needs to be efficient per watt.
These fixtures also accomplish this.

Jessica, you only need the 120 watt ones.
I agree that once name brands start putting their name on it the price increases drastically. Even if you go on reef breeders if you want 90 degree optics you have to pay more for it but you get it if you buy the one on ebay.

Im thinking about these lights too and might buy them.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

do you have to hang taotronics? can you sit them on a glass canopy?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post
do you have to hang taotronics? can you sit them on a glass canopy?
Yes you could do that but remember to clean the glass frequently to avoid any calcium or salt deposits which will decrease the amount of light reaching the tank.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Mr-X is right. I started importing these fixtures before Taotronics flooded the market with them. I tested them and so did Mr-X with our PAR meters and found them very suitable for any coral. All LED emitters need a good heat sink. Some use fans, some use large fixtures with heat dissipating fins. I find the cost difference of less than $200 shipped compared to a Radion at $750 is worth a tiny bit of fan noise. Yes, some emitters are more finely tune to specific frequencies, but I doubt your coral will notice. I run over 1000 watts with these panels for several years now. Nobody has ever complained that I lack coral.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Yes you could do that but remember to clean the glass frequently to avoid any calcium or salt deposits which will decrease the amount of light reaching the tank.
cool. how would you go about setting them up to a timer?

sorry for threadjack. debating between t5's and leds myself.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just plug it right into a timer and set it lol I like the brinks timers from Walmart. Real cheap and I've yet to have any of my 5 fail or fall out of sync with the rest.. something I cant say for all the brands haha
Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Just plug it right into a timer and set it lol I like the brinks timers from Walmart. Real cheap and I've yet to have any of my 5 fail or fall out of sync with the rest.. something I cant say for all the brands haha
so the fixture plugs into the timer and the timer plugs into an outlet? sorry, I'm sure it's obvious, but I've never used one.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This thread has finally talked me into buying them lol

-Mark Twain
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post
so the fixture plugs into the timer and the timer plugs into an outlet? sorry, I'm sure it's obvious, but I've never used one.
yes. your correct

-Mark Twain

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com