Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #401
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Yeah I read about the goose neck option. This will take some serious consideration and I'm planning on running a 40 gallon once I get the hang of this 10G. I've heard larger is better, but it's also more $$ and the wife would be unhappy if I just dove right into this new hobby. I suppose I should be thankful that most trips to the lfs are only about $30.

I'm looking for a lighting system that will be usable on a 40G as well. The Taotronics look great and well built, the price on those almost seems to good to be true. Anybody have much exp with those? It's looking like I'll have to design some sort of lighting rack for whatever I get, is that true or do they have stands for them as well?
__________________

__________________
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #402
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Watervliet, NY
Posts: 150
Here is my setup. Every time I change the flow I get a sand storm. Working on that, however the refugium light is a $40 10w led flood light. The reef breeders light are on about 25%. Sorry for the cloudy storm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3203768247.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	153720   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-577502509.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	153721  

__________________

__________________
MaiTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #403
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
oyf709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post
Yeah I read about the goose neck option. This will take some serious consideration and I'm planning on running a 40 gallon once I get the hang of this 10G. I've heard larger is better, but it's also more $$ and the wife would be unhappy if I just dove right into this new hobby. I suppose I should be thankful that most trips to the lfs are only about $30.

I'm looking for a lighting system that will be usable on a 40G as well. The Taotronics look great and well built, the price on those almost seems to good to be true. Anybody have much exp with those? It's looking like I'll have to design some sort of lighting rack for whatever I get, is that true or do they have stands for them as well?
I think Kessil 150a is a fine choice for you at this moment. You do pay a premiumn up front. however, I don't think you will regret wat you getting. However, keep in mind, it is 32W of LED doesn't matter what you think it is. By able to cover larger area, it is giving up a lot of PAR/light intensity at a bit deeper. You should read thru this before you purchase your Kessil 150
thoughts on kessil A150 Led... - Reef Central Online Community

I personally would suggest just get some lower cost light for your 10g and buy a brand new one for your 40g all together. That way you can choose the most approriate light fixture for the size of tank you are getting.

The Nano touch Icarry is great for Nano cube tank. But for a tank size at 20", you will fine some dimmer area on the sides. Have you consider to use PAR38 bulb for your tank? I think that is a similar option of the Kessil150 but much cheaper, about 80-90 per bulb with shipping
__________________
We Provide LED Solution For Your Aquarium..
Click the Signature for more information.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...09/aqled-1.gif
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #404
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
oyf709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 645
i also not a big fan of flood light. The main reason is the lack of specification of the light itself provided. you won't know the spectrum nor the exact par reading. Just because it is bright doesn't mean it is right.
__________________
We Provide LED Solution For Your Aquarium..
Click the Signature for more information.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...09/aqled-1.gif
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #405
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
I think Kessil 150a is a fine choice for you at this moment. You do pay a premiumn up front. however, I don't think you will regret wat you getting. However, keep in mind, it is 32W of LED doesn't matter what you think it is. By able to cover larger area, it is giving up a lot of PAR/light intensity at a bit deeper. You should read thru this before you purchase your Kessil 150
thoughts on kessil A150 Led... - Reef Central Online Community

I personally would suggest just get some lower cost light for your 10g and buy a brand new one for your 40g all together. That way you can choose the most approriate light fixture for the size of tank you are getting.

The Nano touch Icarry is great for Nano cube tank. But for a tank size at 20", you will fine some dimmer area on the sides. Have you consider to use PAR38 bulb for your tank? I think that is a similar option of the Kessil150 but much cheaper, about 80-90 per bulb with shipping
Lot's of good options there thanks for chiming in. I will look into both of those options. What is PAR? I'm just learning about the lights, please excuse my ignorance.

If I'm going to use LED's then they need to be at least 3 watts each and cover the whole tank. And the blues are just for looks right? I should go with whites?
__________________
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #406
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
oyf709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post
Lot's of good options there thanks for chiming in. I will look into both of those options. What is PAR? I'm just learning about the lights, please excuse my ignorance.

If I'm going to use LED's then they need to be at least 3 watts each and cover the whole tank. And the blues are just for looks right? I should go with whites?
Here is a quick explaintion of PAR vs PUR I copy from a freshwater forum, but it pretty much sums it up very nicely.

Photosynthetically Available Radiation (PAR) is defined as the amount of radiant energy available within the approximate spectral range of 350 to 750 nm (Tyler 1966). Instruments commonly used in studies of photosynthesis are PAR meters; that is, they report 400J700 I,h) or total PAR.
Photosynthetically Usable Radiation (PUR) is defined as
the fraction of photosynthetically available radiant energy of such wavelengths that it can be absorbed by the algal and plant pigments(in this case, coral). Light is selectively absorbed by most algae in the blue and red regions of the
spectrum, causing the transmitted light to be concentrated in regions of the spectrum where algal pigment systems are ineffective at trapping light for photosynthesis (Sullivan et al. 1984). PUR is necessarily less than
PAR, and PUR will depend on both the pigment complement
of the microalgae and the spectral composition
of the available submersed radiant energy.

In general for reef tank,
most SPS(Acropora) require 200 ~ 550

some SPS(Montipora for example),Clam and LPS 150 ~ 250

Softies are 50~150


So let's say at 16" your PAR reading is around 150, that means at 16" deep, you can keep anything from soft coral to LPS.


For pic and Nano tank, you don't have to get 3w LED, as long as the LED fixture provides the right spectrum and PAR then you are all set.
Blue is very important for your corals, only keeping white LED will turn all your coral to brown because it is the wrong spectrum. Coral require somewhere between 380nm to 480nm spectrum to grow and be healthy, White LED has mainly 500nm to 700nm, which promote brown algae growth
__________________
We Provide LED Solution For Your Aquarium..
Click the Signature for more information.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...09/aqled-1.gif
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #407
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pisces3473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: In Cali
Posts: 623
Ok, I think I understood that. Basically I'm looking for a light that, at 16" will provide 200 - 500 PAR. 200 - 500 is the optimal range for a reef tank and it's important to have blue light for the LPS & SPS. Although the optimal range for coral is 380 - 480, perhaps 300 - 500 would be more of a target range. Did I get that right?
__________________
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #408
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
On the sand bed? Nothing on the sand bed needs 500 PAR. 150 at the sand bed is plenty IME.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #409
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
oyf709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 645
it is depend on your apploication, for your small tank, if you want to keep SPS, it would be more than just the lighting. You will need your tank has between 250 to 500 PAR thru out your tank. If you are only want to keep soft coral, any light that can privde you 50 PAR and up, but soft coral can't take on high par so keep it no higher than 200
__________________
We Provide LED Solution For Your Aquarium..
Click the Signature for more information.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...09/aqled-1.gif
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #410
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Watervliet, NY
Posts: 150
My refugium flood light is 6500k. So I think it will be good.
__________________

__________________
MaiTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.