Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #411
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiTank View Post
My refugium flood light is 6500k. So I think it will be good.
I had a cf light Purchased from homedepot and my fuge for the longest time and my algae grow like nutts but that doesn't mean it is good for coral. Unless u can provide me with the actual reading, it will not prove anything. As I mention in some other threads, I am only given my opinion on best practice in stead of blindly chase the lowest cost product without any spec to bak it up. I spent enough money on my coral and don't want to risk to kill them (even slowly) just to save $50

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #412
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question for Mr. X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
On the sand bed? Nothing on the sand bed needs 500 PAR. 150 at the sand bed is plenty IME.
Mr. X, I 've been looking around and found this light.
http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-TT-...quarium+lights

Can you give me your thoughts please. I believe it fits the criteria and seems like a good price. I like this light cause I think it will work well when I move up to a larger tank. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #413
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
i also not a big fan of flood light. The main reason is the lack of specification of the light itself provided. you won't know the spectrum nor the exact par reading. Just because it is bright doesn't mean it is right.
I've had my floods for 4 months. Fish seem perfect and my corals are growing like weeds!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #414
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
I've had my floods for 4 months. Fish seem perfect and my corals are growing like weeds!

Like I said, if I didn't make myself clear, just like using RO/DI water vs tap water, or light bulb changing vs no light bulb change, some people can grow everything with tap water only and never change their light bulbs, but that is not the best practice. Just because it is doing well doesn't mean anything. Because I am selling LED, I want to be responsible to my answer to ppl especially comes to something with nothing to back it up with. For the most time, I don't even 100% trust the manufacturer's spec. I tested everything that I carry, the PAR/LUX even getting them tested with spectrometer. I never rule out flood light is a possible solution, just from my prev post, I said i am not a "big fan" of it simply because there is nothing to back it up.If you can provide the PAR reading and also the spectrum they carry. I am very interest to see. However, before that , it doesn't convince me to suggest that as a solution to ppl
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #415
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post
Mr. X, I 've been looking around and found this light.
Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL01 White Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 25:30; Two-Year Warranty): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Can you give me your thoughts please. I believe it fits the criteria and seems like a good price. I like this light cause I think it will work well when I move up to a larger tank. Thanks in advance.
Yes that light will work for you, just going to be a bit challenge for you to put that on your 10g, like I said, your choice would be either over size for the 10g or under size for your 40g, I really don't think a single fixture can be perfect fit of your both tank
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #416
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post

Can you post a recent photo preferably a FTS
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #417
Aquarium Advice FINatic

TaoTronics TT-AL01 Coral Reef Tank LED

Quote:
Yes that light will work for you, just going to be a bit challenge for you to put that on your 10g, like I said, your choice would be either over size for the 10g or under size for your 40g, I really don't think a single fixture can be perfect fit of your both tank
When I first saw this light those were my thoughts, too big and too small, if/when I do move up in size I would need at least one more of these, but at least I'd be halfway there already. The nice thing is I can adjust the height of the light because I'm going to hang it from the ceiling. Then when I get to the larger tank I can make a hood or design something different to fit that one. Thanks for your response AQ.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #418
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Like I said, if I didn't make myself clear, just like using RO/DI water vs tap water, or light bulb changing vs no light bulb change, some people can grow everything with tap water only and never change their light bulbs, but that is not the best practice. Just because it is doing well doesn't mean anything. Because I am selling LED, I want to be responsible to my answer to ppl especially comes to something with nothing to back it up with. For the most time, I don't even 100% trust the manufacturer's spec. I tested everything that I carry, the PAR/LUX even getting them tested with spectrometer. I never rule out flood light is a possible solution, just from my prev post, I said i am not a "big fan" of it simply because there is nothing to back it up.If you can provide the PAR reading and also the spectrum they carry. I am very interest to see. However, before that , it doesn't convince me to suggest that as a solution to ppl
I understand ya. I wasn't saying that in any negative way. I was just saying mine seem to be doing good. I don't have a par meter. Wish I did. I was very nervous at first when I got these. But I'm coming around.. Only thing I c negative about floods is they don't cover the entire tank unless you can elevate them high so it reaches the sides
Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #419
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox209 View Post

Can you post a recent photo preferably a FTS
What does fts stand for? I I only have select pics on my phone but I will post the few I have

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4081074468.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	153974

Name:	image-2227795790.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	153975

Name:	image-2736330199.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	153976
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #420
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those pics are a month old. In the startup stages

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com