Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

one more question. When running these on a seperate timer, is there anyway to have the main lights go off, and the blues stay on for a moonlight effect?

Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's really up to the buyer what he/she prefers. For those who thinks that radion or ai sol are the best even though its a little pricey then go for it and for those who think they prefer taotronics because theyre affordable and they can grow soft, Lps, sps corals no problem then hve it.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just use two timers. Or buy a controller at some point.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post
one more question. When running these on a seperate timer, is there anyway to have the main lights go off, and the blues stay on for a moonlight effect?
Yes. The fixture has a separate switch for both the whites and blues so set your timer when you want to have the whites and blues on/off.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daney90 View Post

Yes. The fixture has a separate switch for both the whites and blues so set your timer when you want to have the whites and blues on/off.
Id personally rate the chinese leds between t5s and halides the higher end leds rating above halides goes in this order t5s , chinese leds, halides , brandname leds as an sps only keeper the chinese fixtures do not help sps retain color color is much brighter with a quality fixture lights are definately you get what you pay for ive done side by side text with a chipster acro same water dif light one under chinese one under radion after 2 months the chipster under chinese was a kinda brownish green with slight purple tips under radion the excact same coral off excact same colony was a bright green throughout with blue tips and the blue was 1/2" down the coral whereas chinese fixture purple tips were just only on the very tip
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

Id personally rate the chinese leds between t5s and halides the higher end leds rating above halides goes in this order t5s , chinese leds, halides , brandname leds as an sps only keeper the chinese fixtures do not help sps retain color color is much brighter with a quality fixture lights are definately you get what you pay for ive done side by side text with a chipster acro same water dif light one under chinese one under radion after 2 months the chipster under chinese was a kinda brownish green with slight purple tips under radion the excact same coral off excact same colony was a bright green throughout with blue tips and the blue was 1/2" down the coral whereas chinese fixture purple tips were just only on the very tip
Side by side test* not text lol
Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Side by side test* not text lol
For lps chinese fixtures will be fine not for sps you will get growth from chinese fixtures but youll never get as good a color
Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

For lps chinese fixtures will be fine not for sps you will get growth from chinese fixtures but youll never get as good a color
Sorry i made mistake the leds i used are cree i apologize the chinese is bridgelux but i think the drivers are whats important
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have spectacular color on all my SPS corals. Not sure what your test showed, would love to see pictures of the test setup and results. I have seen claims like this but have never seen a problem with corals going brown in my system. Quite the opposite, I see very good growth and color. The coral colors can be enhanced with the addition of some red and cyan LEDs, something I do when building my own fixtures, but for basic growth the Chinese panels work fine.

What I see with high priced fixtures is useless lighting effects that just scare fish.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I have spectacular color on all my SPS corals. Not sure what your test showed, would love to see pictures of the test setup and results. I have seen claims like this but have never seen a problem with corals going brown in my system. Quite the opposite, I see very good growth and color. The coral colors can be enhanced with the addition of some red and cyan LEDs, something I do when building my own fixtures, but for basic growth the Chinese panels work fine.

What I see with high priced fixtures is useless lighting effects that just scare fish.
So would you recommend the reef breeders version with the greens and reds? It's only 30 bucks more.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com