Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #621
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You will definitely need 3 over a 6' tank. Logan from reef breeders will send out a couple blue diodes with the fixtures if you wanted to change out the reds. Otherwise, I bought all of mine on ebay, besides the single reef breeders unit, and all you need to do is make sure they have a lot of positive feedback.
If your tank is 20" deep, you definitely do not need optics. You'll end up burning up more stuff than not IMO.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #622
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about a 24" tank. Would the footprint of 72 inches long 24 inches high and 13 inches deep be too difficult to work into a reef? I think it is.. Thas why im trying to sell and get a 100 gal or 75 gal. The 100 gallon im looking at is sinilar to mine just a bit shorter i believe 20 inches high by 18 inches deep and 72 " long.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #623
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 20" tall dimension is great, but 13" front to back is going to be a pain to aquascape, and you are going to have a limited sand bed.
A 75 or 125 are good tanks. I'm not a fan of extra tall tanks.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #624
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You will definitely need 3 over a 6' tank. Logan from reef breeders will send out a couple blue diodes with the fixtures if you wanted to change out the reds. Otherwise, I bought all of mine on ebay, besides the single reef breeders unit, and all you need to do is make sure they have a lot of positive feedback.
If your tank is 20" deep, you definitely do not need optics. You'll end up burning up more stuff than not IMO.
My reason is to have the lights concentrated on my tank rather than my whole entire living room
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #625
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah me either, i figured that tank would be a pain, if i were to aquascape it and make that a saltwater tank i would build my own live rock for the scape to make it alot easier. And i never thought about the sand bed mr x. Good point! If i did do a sandbed i might make it 5 inches maybe 6 in order to make my tank a bit shallower if thats a compensation? Only problem is tank is not drilled. And i simply wont trust an external overflow. Seems easiest to start fresh with a better tank preferably drilled. Ive got two tanks on hold right now. One a 100 gallon the other is a 90 drilled for a closed loop
Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #626
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think 2 would have to much dark at each end of the tank, this way I can get a more even spread across the 6 feet with each fixture taking up 2 feet.
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #627
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
I think 2 would have to much dark at each end of the tank, this way I can get a more even spread across the 6 feet with each fixture taking up 2 feet.
+ 1 on that! Building a canipy they can hang from will focus more light in your tank too
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #628
Aquarium Advice Activist

I run my blues at 1% all night and the fish all bed down once the lights dim down to 1% (the lights drop gradually over 4 hours). Do you think there is benefit to having a period of total lights off?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #629
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just lower the lights to a reasonable level over the tank and you won't have light all over your living room. Lower them (only 2 fixtures) too low and you'll have some real dark areas.

As for the sand bed, I meant overall space for sand dwelling corals. Not much room for anything really. Depth is another thing. A dsb in a 20" deep tank is a challenge.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #630
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its actually a 24 inch tall tank, and i agree, my focus on such a small footprint would be like an unberwater mountain in the center rising from the bottom to the top, leaving only a few pieces of lr and whatnot on the outside 12 inches of length each way, then the corals could go on the ends of the tank for sand dwelling corals, sps and high light would be focused on the center

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com