Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is in another topic but here's some pics showing the difference between full spectrum and straight b/w

img_2698718_0_58d2e2917d73bf5e704157c4cbf12335.png
That looks pretty true to life. I'm partial to the left tank. I don't like the pink look.

That looks pretty true to life. I'm partial to the left tank. I don't like the pink look.

I think the camera accentuates the difference a little. My blue/white panels don't look that blue when both channels at 100% and my full spectrum don't look as rosy. May be because mine also have a pair of green LEDs.

Yes, my sand bed is more white than blue also, but with the colored fixture, the sand looks just like the right picture to me. Mine has 2 greens and 2 reds.

There's no doubt there is a color difference. But as I've stated before, I still think the full spectrum fixture saturates the colors better. One thing for sure, fixtures with more LEDs mix the color better than those with just a few higher power LEDs. The rainbow effect is obnoxious on some fixtures.

I think both units are turned up 100% on all channels. I personally don't like the purple hue and I found it hard to get rid of it. It went from pinkish to the purple seen, no blue unfortunately.

see I love the purplish hue. that's why im going with full spectrum for my leds.
Then full spectrum is perfect for you! My wife also said the purple hurt her eyes bc of glasses while the blues really didn't. Just an FYI. Hope it works out

I don't believe actinic or blue can show all the natural colors in your tank. Whereas the white called Full Spectrum is because it has all the colors your eyes can see.

I don't believe actinic or blue can show all the natural colors in your tank. Whereas the white called Full Spectrum is because it has all the colors your eyes can see.
I feel that the multicolored ones make the tank look artificial. Let's face it, you don't get red and green at coral depth in the ocean.

l had been to Longbeach Aquarium in California and I have seen different tank simulations from deep cold water of Northern Pacific to the shallow warm tropical water of Baja California. They vary from dark but not blue to sunny full spectrum lights. So far I have not seen any of their tanks with just blue lights.

This is what I am talking about. It is in the deep cold water of Northern Pacific. If you notice the water is not really blue and you can see the green and red corals.

This one is the Gulf Of California

First is shot at noon day in Caribbean. 50' of water +100' visibility. No flash. The wreck of the Rhone off of Salt Island. Second picture is of creatures with flash. Without it, there would be no color other than shades of blue at this depth. Similar to a all blue light aquarium. It's realistic, but boring without the full spectrum of colors IMO.

Attachments

• image-2379630926.jpg
    image-2379630926.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1727804925.jpg
    image-1727804925.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom