Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I place a small square of furnace filter material on the fan intakes on the top. That reduces dirt and some moisture that can get drawn into the fixture. There isn't much to short out in them, the drivers just die in a small percentage of them. This is the downside to Chinese hardware, it's cheap, it works, but it isn't very well made inside. But at a third of the price of other fixtures, it's a gamble worth taking IMO. But I'm following my sons lead from now on and using group buy LED purchases to build my own fixtures. I am comfortable with electronics and it is the way to get exactly what you want for the lowest price possible.

Last edited:
Ok I been listening to everyone debate the Chinese LEDs and I think I'm ordering the 120w full spectrum with the dimmer on Friday but I need some advise would one work or would I need two for my 75g and also does anyone know where the best buy is. Thank you

Ok another question should I get the 120w or the 165w would I notice a difference and what would it be thanks again

Ok another question should I get the 120w or the 165w would I notice a difference and what would it be thanks again

120 is what you want. The 165 is driving them at full power, which will shorten their lifespan significantly.

hey, I have a 120w unit. I'm very happy with it! For a 4ft long tank you would need 2 of these. However, look up "evergrow LEDs". They have a 32" long fixture that is programable like the AI/radions. It's full spectrum and it's under $500. It would be perfect for a 75 gallon! I myself might be getting that.

I only have $300. to spend I seen a guy on eBay has two of then for $285 free shipping and he's giving a one year warranty and he has 100 percent positive feedback

Definitely two units for a 75 gallon, each unit is good for @ 2'x2' with decent coverage. I am currently running mine over a 65 with a 36"x18" footprint and can't find anything to complain about other than the three led "moonlights" are too bright to use as moonlights

I've had the Chinese 120 dimmables for a few months. So far I've had the driver go out on 1 and now it sounds like a fan is going out in a different one. The company did send me a new driver really fast. But keep in mind that they are made from very cheap parts. Has anyone else experienced these issues

I've had the Chinese 120 dimmables for a few months. So far I've had the driver go out on 1 and now it sounds like a fan is going out in a different one. The company did send me a new driver really fast. But keep in mind that they are made from very cheap parts. Has anyone else experienced these issues

I'm trying to track exactly that:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-reliability-question-286687.html#post2728251

I've seen reports of dead drivers, LEDs dying, rust, and fire...

My concern with these, especially what appears to be the not-so-reliable newer ones (vs the ones that have been in service for 2-3+ years), is that over time, replacement costs (or costs of shipping to/from the manufacturer for repair) will become higher than the cost of more expensive lighting rigs. I suppose, in the end, you get what you pay for.

If I had it to do over I would have went with a better product. They have a 1 year warranty but when parts start going bad after that these lights will end up being a money pit.

I think I'm going to go with a BuildMyLED setup. With a dimmer controller, it comes to a hair north of $200, but if I had to ship a chinese panel back to who-knows-where for repair at $50+ (which appears to be the standard shipping rates for these brutes), I've already hit that mark.

The parts are easy to replace. Most are just simple connectors. The issue would be getting replacement parts after the warranty is up. It is probably just happening with the newer ones since they are in such high demand right now

I must just have bad luck 1 is a Tao and the other is a knock off. The knock off's driver went out 2 weeks after I got it and now the Tao sounds like the center fan is going out. I have a 3rd one I got a little over a month ago also. No problems with it yet

Back
Top Bottom