Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #831
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayinaung View Post
Man, prices on these LEDs are dropping. I saw some blue and white 120s with dimmer for $120.
Which ones??? Do you have the link to them?

Old 05-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #832
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just be cautious, there is some junk out there. I would consider buying from a known source. If you want cheap, but works, Taotronics is hard to beat and they have a track record.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #833
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was online last night looking at them but could not find it saying dimmable. Am I missing it???
Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #834
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Ultraviolet light will harm corals. Corals defense to this light is getting more colorful, but if you read back a few pages, I posted a link to an article where this theory was tested and they found no benefit to exposing corals to actual ultraviolet light (not to be confused with violet colored light). Take your UV sterilizer, remove the lamp, and put it over your tank and see what happens. It's not going to be beneficial.
So basically what youre saying is these led fixtures with the UVs isnt worth it. Www.fathomled.com. Look at the hydra series.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #835
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Live aquaria said it best. UV light does penetrate seawater and has a definite effect on the algae in the coral. But it actually works for me better with violet LEDs. The colors are better. Coral could care less.

Color change due to UV light
In nature, ultraviolet light waves (UV-A and UV-B) penetrate the ocean's surface but are filtered out as the light travels through the water. Both UV-A and UV-B light waves have been found to cause destruction of DNA and RNA within coral tissue. In response, many corals have made adaptations to reduce the effects of these harmful rays. These corals developed protective pigments that are often blue, purple, or pink in color. Most corals that contain these pigments come from shallow waters where the amount of UV-A and UV-B light is higher than in deeper areas of the reef.

In home reef aquariums that rely on metal halide lighting, it is important to protect corals from UV light. Coral without these protective pigments as well as shallow water corals that may have lost their pigments during transportation are especially susceptible to the effects of UV light. Fortunately, preventing any UV light from entering the aquarium is as simple as employing glass aquarium canopies and making sure the protective glass lens on the metal halide fixture is properly installed.

It is not uncommon for corals with these bright colors to adjust to the lower UV-A and UV-B conditions found within home aquariums. The loss of colorful pigmentation is not necessarily a sign of an unhealthy coral - it is simply a normal coral adjusting to its new environment.

It is a common misconception among many hobbyists that color changes in newly received coral is an indication of unhealthy coral. Many times the color change is merely the result of corals adjusting to the new lighting intensity, spectrum, and change in UV light. With this in mind, it is important to consider the color of newly received corals and understand their lighting requirements. Be sure to properly acclimate corals to new lighting conditions and allow time for them to establish their coloration.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #836
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I looked at the Hydra series and don't see anything about UV. I see them offering a 415-420nm chip, but that's simply violet in color, not ultraviolet. The Cree chips they are using are said to be very good however. I'm sure this unit will do all sorts of cool stuff, but The best bang for the buck? That's ultimately up to you.
If you are asking if the 415-420 chip is worth the extra money....in my experience, I would say it's completely unnecessary and only worth it if you want some violet in the tank.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money to grow corals. I'd rather buy a cheaper unit and more corals
Old 05-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #837
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams View Post
I was online last night looking at them but could not find it saying dimmable. Am I missing it???
Just google "taotronics dimmable led aquarium light"
Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #838
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Just google "taotronics dimmable led aquarium light"
+1 on that, but as we discussed on another thread, the full spectrum lighting (with violet and a few red LEDs) does nothing to enhance coral growth, but it does warm the light up and cause the corals to have better color depth IMO. Can't hardly go wrong with the Taotronics for what they cost. But if you want to spend more for a domestic fixture using Cree emitters, I have had excellent luck with Rapid LED.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #839
Aquarium Advice Addict

So someone in my area is selling a 48" reef marineland led system but from the info he provided to me it seems to be only 8 blues and like 48 whites only 1w leds a little over 3000 lumens. Why is this listed as reef capable? If its not 3w LEDs? Or is this ok?
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #840
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post
So someone in my area is selling a 48" reef marineland led system but from the info he provided to me it seems to be only 8 blues and like 48 whites only 1w leds a little over 3000 lumens. Why is this listed as reef capable? If its not 3w LEDs? Or is this ok?
Pretty sure those lights are cosmetic, but I'm no expert. Sounds like not enough blues or power for your corals, might be ok for the more hardy types. I'd invest in something a bit more proven. I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will be chiming in soon.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com