Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #871
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer4eva View Post
Lensing only makes a difference if you want to concentrate the light, for instance a deep tank would do well to have lenses perhaps from 60-90 degree. My Rapid LED fixtures have 60 degree lenses and operate at just over 90 watts. Using Cree LED's I have a PAR of 400 at the sanded 16" deep in my frag tank. And the fixtures are hung 18" over the water. The Cree LEDs are more efficient than the Bridgelux (which I use on my reef tank) and with the lenses, I can push more PAR deeper. The lens-less Bridgelux panels work fine but would need to be much closer to the water for the same kind of PAR.

Mirrors would add some light (my minor was in lasers, so I enjoyed the mirror comment, true, some lasers do use mirrors). But I haven't seen it done much, don't know why. It can drive some fish crazy if they see themselves.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #872
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I pulled the trigger. Thanks for everyone's input this thread, it has been very very informative. I got the 2 fixtures off e-bay. The dimable ones. I am excited to receive them. They should arrive anytime between this Tuesday to next Tuesday. I put my old 4bulb t5 fixture on CL here on Long Island so hopefully I can make some money back off those. Thank you everyone so much for the kind knowledge, especially mr.x

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #873
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure without going through all of these pages again.. Does anyone out here on this thread have any pictures of their corals before using these led lights and after using them ? In particularly SPS corals. A friend of mine does not believe in these lights and I want really make sure that they are doing as good as everyone has been posting on here.. But need pictures to back it up the before and after pictures.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #874
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am not sure pictures would mean much without some documentation. There are hundreds on this forum alone using LEDs.

Main tank shot - all Chinese LEDs

Frag tank with purple acro - Rapid LED
6 months later
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-148088617.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	174877   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-728854881.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	174879  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1086530746.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	174880  
Old 05-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #875
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is a good start that is what I am looking for is the before and after pictures for corals that have been under these lights for any duration.. And like you said documentation is needed did not think about that part.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #876
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

these were under t-5s in my 37g and were not doing well
so I put them in my 40b under the leds they have been in there about a month

the brown ones with orange dot in center
and the candy apples
you can see the growth and how much better they look

sorry the before pict is so blurry but you can still see them

here are the brown with orange spot you can see how much better they look and more fuller they look

and here's the candy apples they look a lot better too this camera don't show the true colors to good

Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #877
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I am not sure pictures would mean much without some documentation. There are hundreds on this forum alone using LEDs.

Main tank shot - all Chinese LEDs

Frag tank with purple acro - Rapid LED
6 months later

greg are you just using their onyx fixtures?

i wasn't sure if i'd be happy with the color output but having tuned up my drivers i have to say the purplish color is very pleasing and i'm sure it targets a great spectrum for coral growth, i would highly highly recommend Rapid LEDs kits more so now then i ever did before. the cree emitters truly are a great technology. i have seen PAR videos on youtube of a man using 48 cree XP-E white and royalblue on his 120 gallon 48x24x24 on 3 heatsinks, two with 12 and the middle with 24 LEDs and they were hung 12" above the water and was getting 700 PAR on the sand bed. i can only imagine what the XP-G and XT-E will put out at full power
Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #878
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes, it's a onyx fixture. But one thing to consider is the Cree LEDs have lenses, in my case 60 degree. This concentrates the light more than what a non-lensed Bridgelux emitter might give (but some of them have lenses too). I like the warmer color temp the Onyx gives over the standard Taotronics style fixture, but when placed right, both grow coral great. In fact, your biggest danger is underestimating them and burning corals.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #879
Aquarium Advice Addict

i also have 60 degree optics on mine, but you can remove them i think they are normally 120 degrees of spread on each LED whe nthey don't have the optics but aqt the same time when testign with and without they look more intense with the optics off, i woudl think the jagged lense stops some of the light output
Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #880
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im Defiantly looking into these for my 55G, I was originally looking at Vertex and Eco Tech, But at 1,200-2,000 bucks into just a light setup is off the wall crazy IMO. Let alone getting the wife to approve, I feel she would be more on board at at a third of the cost then she cant say no! The only things holding my back is A. Broke at the Moment, and B. Mounting them. How did everyone else get these mounted? The only thing I can think of is 12In Wall Brackets from the hardware store. Whats some tips on how you guys have em set up, and how far from the water do you have them?

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com