Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #881
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMessykinn View Post
Im Defiantly looking into these for my 55G, I was originally looking at Vertex and Eco Tech, But at 1,200-2,000 bucks into just a light setup is off the wall crazy IMO. Let alone getting the wife to approve, I feel she would be more on board at at a third of the cost then she cant say no! The only things holding my back is A. Broke at the Moment, and B. Mounting them. How did everyone else get these mounted? The only thing I can think of is 12In Wall Brackets from the hardware store. Whats some tips on how you guys have em set up, and how far from the water do you have them?
I should be getting my 2 units on friday that I ordered the other day so I'll def follow up here and let you know what I think and I'll put up some before and after pictures. I am going to hang mine from my ceiling because the wall behind the tank is half closet door half wall. I would love a tip as well though on how high to hang them above the top of the tank. That would be so helpful.

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #882
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not having one of these units yet, I will give you the simple mathematical formula to calculate maximum hieght to hang them.
First thing is to understand the lenses. They tell you the -3dB point on the light beam. That is to say, how far to each side can you go before you get to 1/2 the light energy available. So if you have a PAR value of say 50 directly under a LED, then at the -3dB point you will have 25. Nice to know, but doesn't help you hang your lights.

Measure the distance from the last row of lights to the front or side of the tank, whichever distance is less. So a std 55 gal is 13" by 48". LED is 8"x16" each (2).
48/2=24" section - 16" LED = 8" gap / 2 = 4" each side gap.
13" - 8"LED = 5" gap / 2 = 2.5"gap Front and back. (smaller number).
It appears that the rows of LEDs are about 2" inset from the edge of the light, so add that to the gap and get a 4.5" GAP.

If you have 90Deg optics, or 45deg from centre, then math says
Height = Gap/Tan(45) or Gap/1
Height = 4.5"

120Deg optics
Height = Gap / Tan (60) = 2.6"

60 Deg Optics
Height = Gap / Tan(30) = 7.8"

If you hang them higher than those distances, you will have more light spilling out of the top of your tank. Any lower and you will not get optimum spread to the edge of the tank, but at least the light will be in the tank. So lower is better than higher (except for maintenance).

Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #883
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's amazing information, Thank you. So the 2 fixtures I bought are 120* optics. Therefore I should hang them 2.6'' above my 55 g tank? That seems kind of low. Don't people usually hang their lights 6-12'' above the tank? Now i'm confused.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #884
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lighting your reef...Best bang for your buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Not having one of these units yet, I will give you the simple mathematical formula to calculate maximum hieght to hang them.
First thing is to understand the lenses. They tell you the -3dB point on the light beam. That is to say, how far to each side can you go before you get to 1/2 the light energy available. So if you have a PAR value of say 50 directly under a LED, then at the -3dB point you will have 25. Nice to know, but doesn't help you hang your lights.

Measure the distance from the last row of lights to the front or side of the tank, whichever distance is less. So a std 55 gal is 13" by 48". LED is 8"x16" each (2).
48/2=24" section - 16" LED = 8" gap / 2 = 4" each side gap.
13" - 8"LED = 5" gap / 2 = 2.5"gap Front and back. (smaller number).
It appears that the rows of LEDs are about 2" inset from the edge of the light, so add that to the gap and get a 4.5" GAP.

If you have 90Deg optics, or 45deg from centre, then math says
Height = Gap/Tan(45) or Gap/1
Height = 4.5"

120Deg optics
Height = Gap / Tan (60) = 2.6"

60 Deg Optics
Height = Gap / Tan(30) = 7.8"

If you hang them higher than those distances, you will have more light spilling out of the top of your tank. Any lower and you will not get optimum spread to the edge of the tank, but at least the light will be in the tank. So lower is better than higher (except for maintenance).
How about for a 125 gallon tank:
L 72 1/2" x W 18 1/2" x H 23"
Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #885
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I just picked up an Acan 300 series light unit. These are new and just came out, but they are great. Everything is fully adjustable. 7 cycle auto feature or fully adjustable cycles. Lightning mode also. $200 for an 18" unit, you can't beat it.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #886
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
I just picked up an Acan 300 series light unit. These are new and just came out, but they are great. Everything is fully adjustable. 7 cycle auto feature or fully adjustable cycles. Lightning mode also. $200 for an 18" unit, you can't beat it.
You forgot to mention its only 40 watts. I hope this is going on a 10 gallon tank or else you just wasted money.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #887
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPadelski View Post
You forgot to mention its only 40 watts. I hope this is going on a 10 gallon tank or else you just wasted money.
Doesn't matter. It's on a Nuvo 38 and ALL of my corals, including by RBTA has responded wonderfully. Everything is growing, including things at the bottom.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #888
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post

I should be getting my 2 units on friday that I ordered the other day so I'll def follow up here and let you know what I think and I'll put up some before and after pictures. I am going to hang mine from my ceiling because the wall behind the tank is half closet door half wall. I would love a tip as well though on how high to hang them above the top of the tank. That would be so helpful.
I have mine 6" apart and 10" above water line. 2.5" seem low and would most likely get salt creep and wet. Great spread and more than enough light. I was going 8" but glad I went 10".
Old 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #889
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
I have mine 6" apart and 10" above water line. 2.5" seem low and would most likely get salt creep and wet. Great spread and more than enough light. I was going 8" but glad I went 10".
Thanks, I'll play around with it. Most likely i'll hang them 10'' like you mentioned from personal experience.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #890
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post
That's amazing information, Thank you. So the 2 fixtures I bought are 120* optics. Therefore I should hang them 2.6'' above my 55 g tank? That seems kind of low. Don't people usually hang their lights 6-12'' above the tank? Now i'm confused.
As I said, that was the mathematical formula. As the 55 is a real narrow tank front to back, if you raise it above the 2.6", there will be more light spillage. If course you can move them back a bit, increasing the gap in front, allowing you to raise the light and avoid spillage in the front.
This formula is just to give an idea what will happen. Raise the light 10" and you may be blinded yourself from light spill. Salt creep shouldn't be too much of a problem if there is a cover over the leds. My T5 hang about 3" over the tank and there is no issue a wipe every month or 2 cant solve. But, as I said, it's just a starting point.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com