Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #891
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
As I said, that was the mathematical formula. As the 55 is a real narrow tank front to back, if you raise it above the 2.6", there will be more light spillage. If course you can move them back a bit, increasing the gap in front, allowing you to raise the light and avoid spillage in the front.
This formula is just to give an idea what will happen. Raise the light 10" and you may be blinded yourself from light spill. Salt creep shouldn't be too much of a problem if there is a cover over the leds. My T5 hang about 3" over the tank and there is no issue a wipe every month or 2 cant solve. But, as I said, it's just a starting point.
Gotcha. Thank you.

TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #892
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
I have mine 6" apart and 10" above water line. 2.5" seem low and would most likely get salt creep and wet. Great spread and more than enough light. I was going 8" but glad I went 10".
not to mention burnt corals and spotting and a lack of spread of the different colors

rapid LED has their LED university which offers good info of optics an fixture heights

Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #893
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
As I said, that was the mathematical formula. As the 55 is a real narrow tank front to back, if you raise it above the 2.6", there will be more light spillage. If course you can move them back a bit, increasing the gap in front, allowing you to raise the light and avoid spillage in the front.
This formula is just to give an idea what will happen. Raise the light 10" and you may be blinded yourself from light spill. Salt creep shouldn't be too much of a problem if there is a cover over the leds. My T5 hang about 3" over the tank and there is no issue a wipe every month or 2 cant solve. But, as I said, it's just a starting point.
then all you need is a thinner heat sink.

i would not put a rapid LED fixture that close to the water surface, these LEDs ar incredibly powerful and like greg mentioned hes getting 400 PAR at the bottom of a 16" deep tank with his fixture 18" above the tanks wit h60 degree optics. this is alot of punch from a single unit which im guessing is over a 40 gallon. any closer and i don't see anythign other then high light stony corals lasting.

also not a good idea as it leaves you less workign space and the heat that will come off the heatsink has more of a risk of heating up the water then if they are further away
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #894
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
then all you need is a thinner heat sink.

i would not put a rapid LED fixture that close to the water surface, these LEDs ar incredibly powerful and like greg mentioned hes getting 400 PAR at the bottom of a 16" deep tank with his fixture 18" above the tanks wit h60 degree optics. this is alot of punch from a single unit which im guessing is over a 40 gallon. any closer and i don't see anythign other then high light stony corals lasting.

also not a good idea as it leaves you less workign space and the heat that will come off the heatsink has more of a risk of heating up the water then if they are further away
It's actually two fixtures over a 6' long approx. 90 gallon. And I have an intentional darker are in the middle where the bracing is. I use that to acclimate new corals. Otherwise I would have used 3 fixtures for coverage of a 6' long tank. They can be had with wider angle lenses like 90 or even 120 degree I believe. That would greatly reduce the distance they need to be above the tank for proper coverage. As they are very powerful, if you can't raise them higher to break the corals in, I highly suggest a dimmable unit. In a pinch you can use sheets of diffusing material to cut the light back.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #895
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
It's actually two fixtures over a 6' long approx. 90 gallon. And I have an intentional darker are in the middle where the bracing is. I use that to acclimate new corals. Otherwise I would have used 3 fixtures for coverage of a 6' long tank. They can be had with wider angle lenses like 90 or even 120 degree I believe. That would greatly reduce the distance they need to be above the tank for proper coverage. As they are very powerful, if you can't raise them higher to break the corals in, I highly suggest a dimmable unit. In a pinch you can use sheets of diffusing material to cut the light back.
my bad when you said 16" deep i assumed, not thinkign it may be a odd dimension tank
Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #896
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
my bad when you said 16" deep i assumed, not thinkign it may be a odd dimension tank
No, you were right, it is 16" deep, just long.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #897
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
No, you were right, it is 16" deep, just long.
was it custom built for you?

Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED - Rapid LED

for all those lookign for an non DIY dimmable low cost fixture
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #898
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
was it custom built for you?

Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED - Rapid LED

for all those lookign for an non DIY dimmable low cost fixture
No, it's a pretty common glass aquarium.
I used the pre-built Onyx fixtures. Would have bought the dimmable ones but they weren't available then. No worries as I had plenty of room to raise them on chains as needed.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #899
Aquarium Advice Addict

you could also just turn down the output current of the drivers to lower the output of the LEDs strings
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #900
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
you could also just turn down the output current of the drivers to lower the output of the LEDs strings
It usually requires a PCM style driver to safely dim most LEDs. They didn't include that type of driver in the first Onyx fixtures.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com