Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #901
Aquarium Advice Addict

ahh i would have figured they would have used a standard meanwell driver liek they give with their DIY kits

Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #902
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You know, I didn't open it up so don't know whats inside.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #903
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So what are some product numbers to look up? Taotronics. Or any other decent light . Dimmable or not. I see quite a few fixtures on eBay. But not sure which to consider.. I'm going to need 3 to go over my 150.. Unless there close to 3' long.. And need to b reasonable in price.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #904
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
So what are some product numbers to look up? Taotronics. Or any other decent light . Dimmable or not. I see quite a few fixtures on eBay. But not sure which to consider.. I'm going to need 3 to go over my 150.. Unless there close to 3' long.. And need to b reasonable in price.
I don't think you will regret the Taotronics dimmable lights. Chinese LED drivers are notoriously cheap and can fail. Easy enough to change out and I suggest having a spare down the road. even with a guarantee, sending a fixture in for repair can be a real problem for your reef. The Rapid LED Onyx fixture is a solid unit, but priced higher. I think a DIY kit from Rapid is pretty cheap and it puts you in the position to make your own repairs if needed.

In my tests, the 90 watt Onyx fixture produced as much PAR as a 120 watt standard Chinese fixture identical to the Taotronics unit. And with lenses on the Onyx, a deep tank can be properly lite. I use both and am happy with both.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #905
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So the taotrinics Tt-al09. Will work for a 150g tank? I would be getting 3 of these.. I looked at the rapid LEDs. And I think that's out of my price range..
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #906
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes. I have 4 of these over my 8' three hundred gallon tank and can grow sps on the sand bed.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #907
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Very nice!!! Yeah . Ill most likely go with those then. My flood lights are nice. Just not working under my canopy. Getting hot and burning out.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #908
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK
Very nice!!! Yeah . Ill most likely go with those then. My flood lights are nice. Just not working under my canopy. Getting hot and burning out.
Yeah, I only used 20 watt floodlights and I ended up putting high quality thermal paste and a fan on it to keep it cooler. That won't be an issue with the TaoTronics. Hopefully they'll have better floodlights eventually but they don't hold a candle (a pun!) to real aquarium LEDs, except for refugium or maybe pico tank use. The 10 watt floods are great for sumps.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #909
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've got 3 50w floods. And up high there is nice growth.. Middle to bottom not much happens. But I put an enclosed canopy on the tank with vent holes. But there still burning out.. In going to buy fans to out in there even after the taotronics are in
Old 05-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #910
Aquarium Advice Addict

no kiddign a 50 watt is burning out, the heat sink is dinky tiny on the PAR lamps and 50 watts of LEDs would generate alot of heat on them

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com